1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about bodylift for HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChevyHD4X4, Jun 4, 2003.

1. ChevyHD4X4

ChevyHD4X4 Senior Member

I need some more room in the front after I put on the 285's and I cranked the TB's a little. So Im thinking of a bodylift and wondering if it will hender the plowing or not?? And has any body else done one a 2500HD or anything close ?? Thanks
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Don't quote me,but i believe the HD has a body lift in it to clear the Allison tranny,i'm sure the others will know for sure though.

From what i gather body lifts are PITA to install,but installing on a newer truck may make it easier.Try a search on body lifts,i know it's been discussed before.
  3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

If you are going to put body lift on your truck, you would also need to get someone to custom build a speciality plow undercarriage.
  4. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

A friend of mine has 2 2001 hd's with 3" body lifts. Very easy to install...and no problems with the plows,because they mount to the frame and not any part of the body. I also have a 92' 2500 with a 3" body lift w/285's on it and a meyers plow(my backup truck). I personally would never add one because of the wind noise and the gaps between the bumpers, which with some work you could raise the bumpers.
  5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I would make sure a body lift won't void your warranty before you consider it. A body lift won't interfere with plowing at all. As Earthscapes said, the body goes up, and the frame stays put, so no problems with the plow mount.

When I installed a body lift on my 77 Chevy, I was glad the rear bumper stayed lower. I was able to mount a Lund Tailmate, and keep my rear bumper. The ball hitch was at 24", and still a good height for towing. Stock, the front valence went under the top edge of the front bumper, and after the lift it was just above it. It looks good.

Most new trucks have so much cab insulation, that wind noise should not be a problem. A body lift will also make it easier to wash down the underside of the truck.

I'm sure it will be a PIA to install, with all the wires on new trucks today.

6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

LOL,told you not to quote me!:D
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Try to get a kit that includes everything you need,including bumper relocation brackets.This will save a lot of time or fabrication,and keep the truck looking the same (bumper height) after the lift.

If your only going 2-3" it's not a hard job at all.Most of the lines\wires will reach just fine.If you get a good kit,they will include any neccesary extensions if there is going to be a problem.
  8. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

I hope it's OK to build on this post. I'm down to a rolling chassis on my 77 K20. I see the front cab mounts are bad. I have a 73 C10 that i'm using the cab and those mounts are good, I'm talking the ones rivited to the frame. The "C" model is about 3/8" higher so I'm figuring this body lift in the front and I can shim the back and the rad support accordingly to adjust fender to cab fit. I'm planning to torching off the rivit heads and bolting them back on. Has any body tried this? I'm looking for some advise good / bad ? Thanks, Rick. Also looking for help, labor wise too! :cool:
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can easily torch off the rivets,and replace them with bolts.Use a good quality grade 8 replacement.It's also ok to shim the other mount locations,and the bed to get the body level.
  10. wxmn6

Didn't know that the body of truck could be lifted without lifting the frame. Well... that's something new to me. :blush2:
  11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Stephen - the body just sits on rubber mounts.If you install spacers,or taller body mounts,it raises the body off the frame.This is by far the easiest way to lift a truck.The main benefit is increased wheel well clearance for bigger tires.It also keeps the center of gravity lower versus a suspension lift as your only moving the body up,not the whole truck.It does nothing for increasing ground clearance.That's what a suspension lift is for.Some people don't like the look of a body lift,as the frame looks too low,and you will have visable gaps between the body and frame.You can get gap guards to fill these now.
  12. wxmn6

That explains the difference. I now understand. :)
  13. 1500HD

1500HD Junior Member

I've got 285s on my 1500HD and they clear all around no problem. I've also been thinking about a body lift myself though, as the truck sits too low for my taste, and a suspension lift is too pricey and too much cutting up of the truck for me.