1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

questions about a used fisher i'm looking at.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Donny O., Sep 12, 2005.

1. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

a guy near me is selling a plow that was on a toyota pickup he bought and doesn't want the plow. says it is problaby 15 years old or so. it is a 6.5' MM1. my problem is that I called the local fisher dealer listed on their website but they guy said they mostly do western and meyers but he would see what he could do. I want to see how much the push plates(frame mounts) to put it on my 98 wrangler are going to be and if they are available before I buy the plow. well the guy starts telling me if they can even get the parts i'm going to need to change the headlight assembly, and the A frame, and wiring harness, and put the mopar air shocks on my jeep and by the time I do all of that i'm almost going to be at the price of a new plow.

is there really going to be that much of a difference that I cant jsut use different push plates?? i can understand the wiring being a little different, but I have a degree in Electronics Engineering i think I could figure that part out on my own.

a little more information jsut for the hell of it....i'm not planning to use this to make money i jsut want to plow my driveway and small lot at our hair/tanning salon....like 5 cars out front and 5 in the back. I figured if I got a cheap one for my jeep we could sell our plow truck that gets about 200 miles a year put on it....just not worth paying the insurance for what it gets used. BTW my jeep already has aftermarket suspention so i'm not putting any air shocks on there for the little plowing I plan on doing with it. I want to put the plow on do my driveway....drive the 2 miles to the salon...then 2 miles home and take the plow off and drive to work.

Donny O.
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Its the dealer liability issue going with the dealer you talked to. Mopar put out a service bulliten years ago that said you had to have mopar shocks on the jeep even to put a plow on it, dont worry about that part if you have a beefed up suspension.

Why he thinks you need to change the headlight assy, a-frame and everything else is beyond me. You may have to change the cross over harness (runs from one truck headlight to the other) and that depends on what type of headlights were on the truckit acame off from and what type of headlights are on your jeep.

New push plates will run about $425.
  3. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

thanks for the reply. I understand the suspention thing it's all the other stuff that I don't get. I did talk to them today and he needs me to measure the widest spot on the a-frame and then they can tell me if it needs to be replaced or not. either way he said were looking at about $1200 in parts. I cant believe 2 pieces of metal and some bolts cost $425....that crazy, but if that ends up being all i need then it would still be worth it to me to get this plow.. i'm thinking for a $400 plow(what the guy is selling it for) then all the other stuff they are talking about me needing it's not worth it and I might as well buy a new one which i think is what he wants. honestly i'm not even worried about the lights....i've seen these on jeeps and the lights arent much higher than the stock lights I dont think. and i have a light bar on the roof if I need to see what i'm plowing...he he!!! :drinkup:

i don't know i guess i will see what he says tomorrow after i measure it and go from there.....any other ideas, comments, concerns?
  4. mike vaillancou

mike vaillancou Junior Member
    from 04743

walk way from that plow

i deal with lots of plows please note the frame is wider on jeep then toyota if you bought LD 6.9 ploe came off full size pickup all need is puh plate and harness what you are tying to convert is why to costly look around lots plows for sale
  5. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I did a long time ago and jsut went and bought a new western suburbanite. and taking it back in a few hours because I found problems with the install!!!