1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about a new bed on my 350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Bossman 92, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys I am taking the stake bed off my F350 and replacing it with a regular bed. I have a few questions about the process.

1) Tail lights... The new bed comes with the lenses, how do I go about converting this over?

2) Fuel neck... How does the fuel neck connect to the new bed.

I am taking the truck to my dads fab shop and helping with the process, so I will take and post some pics.

Thanks Bossman

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh yea, what kind of U bolts do I need to fasten the bed to the body?

3. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

When I changed from a service body on my F250 it was 6 long neck carriage bolts 2 or 3 lengths designed to fit in the holes of the body to keep from spining while you put the nuts on. It just bolts to the top part of the frame and the fill neck had three sheet metal screws holding it. I think that I had to shorten one of the hoses and as far as lights go a test light to find which ones are what

Hope that helps

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

See if you can find a bolt kit on the INTERNET for the bed install or call some places that sell used beds. That way you have the right lengths and strength of bolts. I would bet most standard carriage bolts you buy are grade 5 at best. They may break or stretch.
    Keep the wring harnesses separate side to side. ( Don't connect one brake light to both sides etc.) The repair manual should have the wire diagrams of the wire colors. Ford has not changed them for a long time.

5. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

i am doin the same thing and need some help here i have a cab and chassis truck with a utilty body and i want to go to a regular body but the frame is smaller

What do i do

the utility body is 8' 4"
    the regular bed is 8' but i have the 4 inch gap between the body and bed any help here?

6. krazeehorse

krazeehorse Member

I have an 04 and it does not use carriage bolts. There are 8 bolts (of 2 or 3 different links) and there are speed nuts that clip to the frame. It takes a torx drive (45 I think) to screw the bolts down. And I would also go to a used bed dealer and get a set of bolts and speed nuts. If your pigtail has been cut for your current bed then I would get one off a wrecked truck and solder it to your taillight wires so you can just plug in your new bed.