1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about a 20+yr Craftsman Snowblower.

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by chrisd6875, Dec 7, 2010.

1. chrisd6875

chrisd6875 Junior Member

Hi, I bought a craftsman snowblower three years ago.When I bought it , I dissassembled about 60% of it and restored things like the drift breaker, auger, chute, light. also replaced alot of nuts and bolts. Also replaced the rubber drive wheel, the fuel shut off valve, installed a fuel filter and fabricated a bar for the front bottom that slides along the ground. Anyway, the thing runs pretty good now it has a 6hp tecumseh.
    I have two questions, I wanted to upgrade the tires. The ones on this are the diamond stud, not very aggressive. How big of a tire can I install on this, there is plenty of room. They are 4.10 x 3.5 - 6.
    Also, am I wasting my time with this? I'm pretty sure it is about 30 years old. I got it for 100 bucks.
    Thanks.

2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Well you can put on bigger tires BUT it'll give you more hassel than good. All the gearing for travel speed to mach the auger speed will be messed up if you change the size tires. Also it will change the angle of your intake shoot.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  3. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Stens # 165-191
    Carlisle SNOW HOG tires
    Most aggressive snow tire around.
    http://www.stens.com/
    1/2 way down on left, put snow hog in keyword search
    Next option chains

Keith

4. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

They should be the same size. there both 410 and they both fit a 6" rim.

5. chrisd6875

chrisd6875 Junior Member

Thanks Guys.