1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

questions about a 150

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by insnow4fun, Jan 13, 2005.

1. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

i read on another forum, that one could replace the standard 6000 tortion bars with the same bars that came on the plow prep package (7700#). he said they were direct fits and even had cost and part numbers.

if this is true, what would be the heaviest plow you would put on the front of the 150, 4x4 supercab (not 4 door), 4.6 v8, with (standard 3400, 3200) modifed with the 7700 lb plow prep package tortion bars.

been seaching the sites and found nothing really for this truck. would i need to change the bars, and add timbrens, or just add timbrens to the standard 6000# truck?

thanks in advance

2. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

well the first question you will be asked, what year? And i guess seeing as though you call it a 150 you are talking about a ford? But fords don't have torsion bars, only chevys? but a chevy would be a 1500. need a little more information.

3. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

I'm no expert, but I have done a lot of truck/axle swapping, spring upgrading, lifting 4x4's, etc. That said, all heavy springs will do for you is keep your ride height up higher. If your front axle rating is say, 3400lbs, and you put 1 ton springs on it, you still are limited to 3400lbs. Your bearings, brakes, axle housing, shafts, ring/pinion, are still 1/2 ton parts. Even if you put all the above parts from a heavier truck on yours, you still have a 1/2 ton frame which may or may not be different from a 3/4-1 ton.
    I hope that is what you were asking, if not, be more specific as to what you mean, as sometimes I am thick headed. :drinkup:

4. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

sorry about that...

its a 97 ford f150 4x4, 4.6 v8, 6000# std rating.

would the 7700# tortion bars support a plow better (thinking obviously)

how heavy of a plow can i use

5. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

for some reason I think I am missing a part of this puzzle. I have a 2000 f250 with a powerstroke and only have a 5200# front end. The largest springs I have found for this truck a 6000# springs. With that said, the 5200# springs and the powerstroke have no problem holding a 7.5 fisher.

6. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

I'll take a guess that he is refering to gvw, not axle rating for the part #.

7. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

sorry, new to these boards...i guess sometimes i talk in circles

you are right....the gvwr is 6000# (front 3400, rear 3200) as the truck sits right now. with the advice on the other forum, i could replace the tortion bars with the bars used on the 7700# package.

still curious, what would be the heaviest plow (ie 700 lbs (including push plates)) to put on the front of this truck. am looking to do a small commercial, maybe a lil residential, nothing like a kroger, marsh, wal-mart or target.

if timbrens are put on this truck (i don't know if there are different timbrens or if there is just one set for this truck) does anything have to be done to the tortion bars (ie cranking the adjustment bolts, changing to the heavier duty tortion bars).

sorry for all the confusion, any help would be appreciated.

8. swolff

swolff Junior Member

I have a expedition 1998. Don't know if the front end is the same for an F150, but I have a light weight snoway Under #600. Timberens on it and it doesn't't sag. Plow works great. MT90 snoway. It is only a 7'6" but it is good for residential and small lots.

9. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Throw some timbrens on the front suspension...and you will be able to run just about any 7.5' ft plow that you want. But if you want the lightest, the Sno-Way is the best choice for a light weight durable plow. I had one on a 95 F-150...plowed like a dream. :waving:

10. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

thanks for the help

with adding timbrens, do i still need to mess with the tortion bars, or leave the stock ones on there, and leave em alone?