1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

questions about 4.2

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Brucester1, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

have a chance to buy an '99 F150 4WD short box w/ a 4.2 motor. has over 230000 miles. don't know much about this motor how many miles can be expected from it? had '96 2WD with over 270000 on it. is that unusual for those motors or the norm? thanks

2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I guess the first question one would need to ask is why you would want to buy anything with that many miles on it. The second issue is how many problems you might consider "normal" for that many miles. If you check places like F150Online.com, I think you'll find that the smallest member of the modular motor family was not exactly the best member. Although a '99 would have some of the earlier problems addressed, I'd still seriously question its reliability. That's just my 2 cents though.

3. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Not sure what to expect for engine life. However I would skip over the 4.2 and go with the 4.6 same economy with bit more torque and horse power.