1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

questionable plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Feb 10, 2008.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Okay so it windy here. I am talking gusting to 45 and a steady 30 I would dare say. With all the blowing snow it is making it really hard to see. My question is do you guys ever make the determination to not plow if it is like this? I am not saying I can't do the job or anything, but the realization of wrecking my truck is been a big factor on my mind today. Also in my area it makes it hard to see alot, what with all the open feilds when it is like this. I am a one man operation and if I wreck my truck I a screwed.

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i would hold off till later, or as close as you can till you have to start your route.
    the wind has been dying down here finally, for a while i could not even see the house across the street, heck at times the mailbox 20ft from my house would dissapear.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

thats kinda what I was thinking about doing. I went out last night too, and at times while plowing a few lost I couldn't see anything. Not even the plow. Anyone else have any input?

4. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

yea i had my guys at the hospital and we have the same thing goign on. the gusts are so bad that the only way they can see is look for flashers. so i had them leave for the night. b/c we cannot risk hitting a pedestrian or a car or something. b/c we have 4 trucks down right now and if we loose another and we get a storm this week like they are saying we are screwed.

so i would suggest leaving all your accounts untill it is safe for you. and if anyone has any complaints just say im sorry i didnt get it done on time but due to the blizzard like conditions i did not feel safe operating at that time.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

safety is job #1. There is no dollar amount worth killing yourself or wrecking your truck for. Hold off for the winds and only work when weather permits.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

we're getting the same wind here but the snow stopped and not a lot on the ground.I'll take a ride in the morning to check things out.

7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

It's really really windy here right now 40mph+ its crazy
    good thing we don't have enough snow on the ground to make this bad.....doh!

8. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

RBRONKEMA GHTFD, You did the right thing! Yesterday morning when I was heading home from my 9-5 job (really 2200-0600 job....) the wind was so bad that with the snow we had on the ground already (and that which was falling as well) we had terrible white out conditions. Driving due west I could not see beyond my plow...... I decided it was best to hang around the house for a few hours and see if the winds would let up before going to plow. Any profits made plowing would be eaten up QUICK replacing your truck after a wreck....

9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Bing that most plowers are out even when normal people wont go out, I would say its safe to hold off for a bit. If you dont want to go out in it, most people WONT go out in it....

10. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i would definately hold off until conditions improve, not only are you at more of a risk to get in an accident, but with all of the blowing snow your accounts will most likely blow back in again and just become a headache.

11. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping Member

SAFETY FIRST!!!!

COP:gunsfiring:BY NIGHT, MOWER, LANDSCAPER, SNOWPLOWER BY DAY

12. bln

bln Senior Member

I also experienced and not being able to get salt right now due to the shortage I just let the winds blow everytihng of the concrete and went out later to clean up drifts.
    payup

13. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

It gets windy here a lot and when the storms get really bad (blizzard), we just abondon the farther out ones and work in town, where everyone is close and can get help. Then as it dies down we go out and work the ones that require a drive or are out in the bad places.

Won't help anyone if I send a truck out and it takes 2 hours to make a 15 minute drive or they get stuck.

most of my further out ones are chruch's or residential roads (private roads) so I can justify that too.

14. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

During the Blizzard of 78, our guys were out until conditions were so bad it was not safe anymore. The first clue was when we heard on the radio (cell phones were nonexsistant) they were closing the roads. We all beat it back to the shop and were snowed in for 3 days. When the snow and wind subsided and the roads were passable, we picked up where we left off. Now only a few 12' drifts and 4' level snow to contend with.I don't recommend anyone be out in conditions that render unsafe conditions.

15. ECS

ECS Senior Member

That is what we had the first 9 days of February. The last time out, you could not go any farther, turned around and went home leaving 4 drives for the next morning.

16. Michael M

Michael M Member

Safety first!!!! Your life is worth more than plow money.