1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wideout, Jan 2, 2010.

1. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Hey everyone got a question for ya. There is a Mcdonalds n the town where i plow its across from the wal-mart i plow and i always see it just sitting there with snow on it until late in the day then the guy that does it finally decides to do it but by then its packed down so after scrapping it he comes in and jumps an a@% load of salt on it to try and clean it up. Everyone in the town i plow works together and helps eachother out and stays away from each others stuff but this guy is a TOOL! So my question after all that is should i go talk to the owners of the place to see if they want someone who cares about there place like it should be or let it go? I wouldn't normally do this but its always busy and looks really bad! Whats your opinions??
  2. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

yea.. i think all commercial places should have zero tolerance when it comes to snow.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

no rules in love and war,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,commercial contracts!!! lol
    on a serious note, where i am at, i have a couple other companies that i have mutual respect with and that we help eachother out, so usually if i see something about one of their accounts, i go and talk to them about it, BUT in the end work is work, and buisness owners understand that
  4. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Thats my opinion all my lots are almost 100% when i'm done and all the managers/owners of the places i do compliment my work

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

So you know for a fact EVERYONE in that town works together? Everyone? Really?

Except you , right?

Maybe he is doing what they want. Maybe they are getting what they want and paid for. Everyone works together and stays away from others stuff,,,,,,,except you!

Sounds exactly like something you would normally do. Worry about your own properties and let others worry about theirs. Sounds like you are the "Tool".
  6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I would go for it. One of your other competitors may get it next year.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Business is business. That's why they call it business and not "doing favors". If I don't take care of my customers, somebody else will.
  8. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I had a Mcdonalds a few years back.When I got the contract we pushed with the storm spread ice melt ect. After about 2 years they got a new manager. His thought was this is to expensive. No ice melt, plow 1 time at the end of the storm. I told him I can't afford the liability or the image it would put on my business, so we parted ways. As far as I know it still looks like crap for days after a storm. It would be worth going and talking to the manager, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is happy with the service and getting what he is paying for. There are a lot of idiot managers out there. I have ran into more than 1.
  9. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

The McDonald's around here don't pay for saltings. They just have an employee throw out a bad of salt here and there in their lot and call it done.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I tried for some mcdonalds for this season.

To do 1, is to do 14 of them...spread all across the metro area. No Thanks. the guy was cheap as hell too.

Maybe that's his last one on the list, and he might be doing the other "13" spread out all across the area.

Do what you want...this business is cut-throat, and sometime you have to be cutting the throats...other times your throat is getting slashed up pretty good.
  11. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Hey reaper read the thread again and understand whats said. Yes i do know that everyone works together in this town it has 15000 people in it and my company is one of the biggest in it. during a storm we all call eachother talk and when one of gets done we see if anyone needs help which is ok if he dont its not that he has to do that. He does other lots that look the same like the best western he does i use to do it til his niece took over as manger and gave him the contract. So yeah i do know that we all work together and i dont normally go in and try to take a place from someone so to answer your question i do for a FACT THAT WE ALL WRK TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

Heres an example. I plow a business where the owner is a cheap ****, he does't want it plowed unless there is atleast 2-3".
    Problem is, that makes ME look bad, someone sees me there, then they think, jeez, theres the plow guy that never shows up.
    So, I plow it whenever theres snow, and if they don't like it, they can have someone else do it.
    I say just leave it alone.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2010
  13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

The whole reason for your being upset is in the above statement.

I don't care if your town is 50 people. I highly doubt everyone that plows calls each other during a event or at any time for that matter.

I use to do the Wendy's around here.
    All done before 10 AM curb to curb bare pavement.

Then we had a record year in snowfall. We got dropped because supposedly we were to expensive. The new guy is told no salt and only to push when a manager calls.

Their lots look like total crap now. None of them are done before 10 AM like they were when we had the account. No salt makes their drive thru a ice rink with ruts. Parking is wherever you can fit your car and jump over the piles.

But you know what?
    The same company is doing em again this year. People still go there for lunch or whatever and I have not heard of any type of lawsuit coming from it over a slip-n-fall. In fact in all my 20+ years of plowing I have yet to actually know anyone in person to be sued for a slip-n-fall.

Not one person on this site ever knew we did the accounts and if they did I doubt they know we lost them last year. People get what they pay for and or instruct others to do for their money spent.

You don't know the particulars in that contract and may make yourself look foolish going in spouting off how much better you can do something. For all you know this is the guys dad running the place.

More people on this site need to realize when you talk about a lot/driveway or criticize the plow guy that in fact you may be insulting someone from this site as you have no idea who is who in the world of Internet posting.

How's about you do your job as best you can and mind your own beeswax!
    If you are worth what you brag about you will either get noticed or pick up the work you want in the future.

If I sat back and cried like some of you all who lost a property to someones relative or low-baller I would be spitting blood from my ulcers. Every year we lose a lot or 2. Every year we pick up a lot or 2 and I am never looking for work wishing I had more. In fact almost every storm I am worn out at the end because of working so much.

Get over it, stuff happens.
  14. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Actually we do there is 4 main companies in this town then this guy and i dont care that i lost the account because i picked up others and i know i didn't lose it because of my work i lost it because its not what you know its who you know and it happens. I was just asking for opinions and not someone to bust my balls about it talkin to you is like dealing with my ex-wife. I didnt realize you were a saint and have never gone in to see if a place would like you to do it when you started how did you get all your accounts? When i started things were slim and i had very few but as the years went on people that did it got out and now the companies that are there are all friends and really do try and help out.
  15. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

If that really is the case, why don't you ask the "tool" who is doing it now what up?

In my area we respect each other, as in we do not lowbal each other and with some lots we do not bother because we are friends, but bad service is bad service and I would be talking to to property manager.

just keep in mind, they might be getting the exact level of service the want to pay for...
  16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

When I started there were not a whole bunch of guys plowing. Salesmanship and honesty is all I use to ever need to get a account. Now with cut throats that have no idea what the management of a company wants going in and giving half the cost in a estimate or asking what the other guy charges and doing it for less no matter what they are told I leave it to a full-time professional salesman.

When you do go in to low-ball the price make sure you attack and ridicule the plow guy they have now. That always makes a person look professional and owners love it. Especially if it ends up being their son or brother doing the lot. :dizzy:

You asked for opinions and got mine. You don't like it so now you want to argue about what you read. Just because this site is made up of plow guys and what not don't think we all agree on every issue that arises.

This issue this year has me pretty steamed as much as I have been reading about how perfect we all are and all our competition is a bunch of low-balling dirtballs that couldn't shovel a sidewalk let alone plow snow. More guys should worry about their own stuff and not what the other guy is doing and for how much.

Times are tough and I am glad some guys are working or looking for some kind of work rather then being a crack dealer or going on the b-rock government plan. :angry:

I also would doubt I sound like your ex. I suppose a low-baller outbid you there as well. :rolleyes:
  17. buckwheat_la

i agree, i am becoming of the opinion that some of the contractors on this site are angry/bitter because competitors out there are making them look bad, for sure there are lowballers out there, but there are also legitiment buisnesses that are working hard for their money and doing a good job, or what their clients are instructing, if a client says they well phone you to plow, get it in writing, make sure they understand it is their liability, and do what thay ask!!!

if you think you can do better, then go talk to the manager of the store, if you want to help the guy out, then go talk to him, seems pretty simple, don't understand all the DRAMA (and people wonder why threads get deleted)
  18. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Couldn't have said it any better.
  19. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

I do 3 Mcdonalds, they are owned by a subject who does not live in the area. I was contacted by the manager of all 3 places and signed a contract, that included deicing. Was told to mail the bill to the owners.

Owner got first bill and **** hit the fan, stating the manager had no authority to sign anything and thought the contract was not valid. We finally reached an agreement and changed the contract. Owner said he could pay a kid at minimum wage to melt ice, and also bumped up the trigger to 3". New wording also exempts me from any ice or snow less that 3". Have had several freezing rain events and the lots look like a skating rink.

Problem is when you only get about 2" and then with the high traffic, it really gets compacted and should you get more snow it really becomes a mess. You would think with the resources of Macs they would want to make sure that ice/snow is not a problem. Remember this is the same company that got sued over hot coffee !!!!!

I also found it funny that during contract talks he was trying to tell me how they dont make much money off hamburgers?????

So they pay for what they get, and are gambling for no problems, however it does make me discouraged when I service their lots and they dont look good during small snowfalls.

All of the mcdonalds are not owned by the large company but by owners leasing the name, so each owner has a different opinion of what should be done. If you go to talk with someone I would suggest finding out and contacting the owner.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  20. buckwheat_la

if all contractors would make cheap ass managers sign a contract excempting the contractor from liability because of the managers unreal expectations, they would reconsider their positions, sure thing if there is a slip and fall, the manager/owner well be the first one pointing the finger at the contractor