1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by handyman74, Oct 14, 2009.

1. handyman74

handyman74 Junior Member

was wondering how 2 bleed my lines on my western plow? and would this cause it 2 move slowly, i been tryin 2 do it the way i think but it seems like the more i try the more air..thanx

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

First of all, let it sit over night before messing with it anymore.

Second, dont try and raise it after a flush and fill, if you did, you cause the pump to cavitate which put air into the system.

Now after it sat all night, angle left and right several times, check the fluid level and then raise. The air should work its way out of the system rather quickly.

If you still have air in the system you will get a jerking reaction while angling.

try that and let us know what is happening then or if everything good.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Keep angling it after the first few times like Crash stated and then do it some more and check fluid level.
    The air will work itself out eventually.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

What kind of plow are we dealing with?

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The OP said it was a Western.
    Angling it should bleed the air out.

6. handyman74

handyman74 Junior Member

well we been doin that, and thanx for everyones help, it is a western plow, if the cable is too long will that cause a problem? also we thought we got the air out and now when i adjust the cable i can get it 2 go up and then it wont go down now if i get it down i cant get it to go up, its a very aggervating thing please help

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

A old cable operated?

If so the cable comes from western at a specific length. It should have a couple of bends at the end where it goes in to the control box and hooks to the switch so it isn't sliding out.

On the outside of the pump rt below where the cable goes in there should be 2 adjusting valve screws. Loosen the lock nut and use a screwdriver to adjust those.
    I can not remember which one is for up-dn or sd to sd. You can either do trial by error or go to the Western site and look at the pump in the parts section to get a look at which is which.
    Try adjusting those screws.
    Since you flushed it I am assuming you also changed the filter screen inside the pump.