1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieselpusher, Sep 3, 2008.

1. dieselpusher

dieselpusher Senior Member

the plows on the truck its a unimount

angle works great and fast

when i raise the blade it lifts about 3 inches and slows down and wont go any higher.

if i jerk the joystick itll shimmy up only like an inch

i have fluid and checked the quill

what else??

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Jerk the joystick. I thought it was a unimount with the electronic control?

3. dieselpusher

it is. but i mean ill give it quick taps in the raise position

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Will it eventually get all the way to the top if you continue to bump the controller?

When it stops after lifting the three inches does the motor continue to run full speed? Does it sound ok, or does it sound like its really straining to try and make pressure?

5. dieselpusher

it sounds like its straining

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Will it eventually go all the way to the top if you continue to bump the controller?

7. dieselpusher

no it wont go to the top

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Positive the fluid level is correct?

Since it angles just fine (and as fast as it should) then either the pump is weak, or the motor is dieing. It takes the most motor power as well as hydro psi to lift lift the blade than any of the other functions. So, if you have a pump or motor problem that's where it'll show up first.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Maybe a tight packing nut and a weak pump/motor?

10. dieselpusher

alright how should i go about checking each one.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Use the diagnostics in the Uni manual I provided you in your other thread.

Start with checking the pump output psi. Then check motor for excessive amp draw.

You'll need a pressure gage to check pump pressure...as well as specialized equipment to check the amp draw. If you don't have access to either of these...you need to find someone who does.

12. dieselpusher

:mad:ahhh alright

im sorry for all the troubles

nothing every easy

13. dieselpusher

i was thinking about one of the master pump rebuild kits. to kinda start fresh with the pump

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with that Sean. Good way to educate yourself on the inner workings...just be sure to take your time and make records of everything as you disassemble it as there's many, many O-rings and other miscellaneous parts in there that look the same but aren't.

If you do tear it down now, you'll still want to check the amp draw on the motor and pump psi FIRST regardless. Throwing new seals at it without a good pre-diagnosis won't normally fix them, and you'll likely find you still have the same issue. :)

15. dieselpusher

very true i was looking on westerns troublshoot and they said it could be cartridge valves contaminated or o rings and packing nuts

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since it angles to the left fine it's not likely a cartridge/contamination issue as it uses the same one (S3) to raise AND angle to the left.

Just part of the diagnosis.

Stay with the manual, it'll teach you alot. :)

17. dieselpusher

what about the packing nut being to tight on the lift ram

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the blade will lower/drop under it's own weight, then the packing nut isn't stopping it from raising.

19. dieselpusher

heres another one for you.. i disconnected the chain and jacked the plow up then raised the plow arm hooked the chain up higher. went to lower the plow there was a long delay then it dropped

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

First time it's ever done that?