1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim Baden, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Tim Baden

Tim Baden Member

A friend of mine wants to get into the plowing business but he has two compressed discs in his back that will never heal cause he has M.S. His doctor told him never to lift anything heavy and never put strain on his back of any kind.
    They can't operate cause it's so close to a nerve and there is a chance he could be paralyzed.
    He told me he wouldn't have to shovel but I was thinking all it would take is to get stuck.
    What do you think,should he try it or not.
    Told him if it was me no way,why take a chance.
  2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I say go for it .Just make sure he has a cell phone and charger
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

And a truck with grippy tires and studs and ballast that someone loads for him. He should look at a Curtis plow too as it is a zero effort mounting system to remove or mount plow on truck. I do not believe there is anything easier out there in that regard.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My knees and back are very bad so I can't even stand or sit in one position for more than a few minutes at a time. I don't do any shoveling and I carry a cell phone in case I get stuck so I won't have to scoop snow. It takes a little planning (like having someone put chains on for you and having all your maintenance done by a reputable shop) but I'd say go for it. Last year I ran into a problem when I got stuck out in the country without my cell and had to walk through 2 feet of snow to a rural house, but with proper planning it can be done. Just don't get a tailgate salter or use have to use bagged material. Just be judicious in the accounts he takes. He might also not want to sub out to anyone or make sure they're understanding of him taking breaks as needed.
  5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Do not even mess with salting or shoveling if you have back problems.
  6. Tim Baden

Tim Baden Member

Thanks guys,guess I never thought about the cell phone idea.I will see him tomorrow and tell him to go for it.