1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Heavy Snow Man, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Heavy Snow Man

Heavy Snow Man Junior Member

I am looking into plowing next year,but I have a question first.I am a diabetic and I take insulin.I can not work because of it.My wife worries that plowing mite be to much for me and I end up in the hospital again.I will be doing driveways. The doctor is not sure.I know I can't do lawn mowing or power washing or jpbs like that because it is to labor intenseive.Wat do you think?
    Would plowing be to much for me?
    I have a positive out look on life so if I can't plow that's ok too.Just wanted to ask the pros about this.Thank you. :)
  2. Heavy Snow Man

Opps hit the wrong keys.I hust don't want to spend a bunch of money on a plow truck then find plowing is to much for me.Thanks again.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Basically, it depends on the type of accounts you get. If have a tight route with time limits or any that require shoveling, then I think it would be too labor-intensive and you should find another line of work. However, you could limit your accounts to like the ones I have: Only one that really needs to be cleared by 6:00 and I do it first. This year I've also let her know that there will be times I can't get there by 6:00 and she's ok with that. Also, I do not shovel anything. I've taken some heat on this site for this, but if it can't be done from the cab of a truck, I don't do it. Carry a cell phone for the times you get stuck - don't try to shovel yourself out. You could also put a winch on the back end to pull yourself out of minor stuff.

Just put some thought into it, don't take on too much, don't try to compete with the "big guys" and you should be fine. And spend some time on this site over the summer - you'll learn a lot that'll help.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2004
  4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

No shoveling here either. I get in the truck and get out after the route is done.
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I think like pkg lots or no shovling reqiured or do sub contracting doing like roads or cleaning up turn arounds reqiures no shovling
  6. Raydon

Raydon Member

Snow man, I personally find that the lack of sleep is harder on me than the few times I have to get out and clean up something with a shovel. Also loading and unloading the ballast in the box. Of course this is just me. Good luck whatever you decide, and like he posted earlier about reading Plowsite, it has been a great source of knowledge for me.

7. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i feel it will be tyo much and would only recommend sub contracting for another company it would be best.
  8. Heavy Snow Man

Thanks guys for the help.The co.that plows our apartment complex is all ways looking for subs during the day for 3 or 4 hours.
    Have a great day.
  9. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

First off I assume that being an insulin controlled diabetic, what you and your wife are concerned about is yr blood sugar getting out of whack. I to am a diabetic (fortunate enough to be controlled with diet and excercise) and I do some plowing, and am a creer firefighter. From my point of view the work itself shouldn't be too tough on the control of your blood sugar as long as you take breaks and eat properly and regularly and pay attention to how you feel (that tells me as much as my meter does) and what your numbers are.

Good luck!
  10. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

One company I worked for has shovelers that go in ahead of the trucks. My boss expected the plow truck operators to push snow and keep the trucks moving. The only time I got out was to open a locked gate or pee in the snow..

Subbing may be the best way to go for you. Then again, why not do like I did and get hired on by someone and learn the ropes the first year. I was paid $18/hr to push snow in someones elses truck and also to run a front end loader. I know what I need and what I want to do for next year now.

Looking to pickup my own truck tomorrow, then start workin on putting the blade on my ATV.

When I was looking at the truck today with my wife, she asked me "Are you going to be able to put a back blade on there?" She made me so proud.. :)
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2004