1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question with Stock Alternator

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Quality SR, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I didn't realize i have a 105 amp alt. on my truck. I thought it would have been bigger. My question is does anyone plow and use an electric spreader ( spreader draws 100amps) with a small alt.? I was thinking of having it rebuilt, but if i can get away with out it, I will. Right now with the V, raising the plow the plow lights dim a little. And the battery gage does drop a little when in park and raising the blade. But not as much when moving and raising the blade.
    Could i get away with it?
    Thanks Rich
  2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Do a search on alternators and dual batteries. You'll find a lot of good info. You know, some people can get away with a 105 amp alt and plow for years.
    Me? I could'nt get by with my 160 amp in a DIESEL! I had to go big with a 'Wyldman Modded big case OTR truck alt at 250 amps.
  3. Quality SR

I have done some searches. I have a diesel truck. the truck came with dual 770CCA batteries. i put two new interstate platinum 800CCA's. I would have thought the diesel alt. would have been bigger then 105. My father inlaw is checking now to see what is the biggest i can put on without changing the bracket. And he is going to let me know. I guess i'd might as well change it out. Just looking to see if other people are getting by plowing and spreading with a smaller alt.
    250 :dizzy:... Man you dont mess around. I see you have a back blade, so i guess going that big is well worth it. Thanks for the info.
  4. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

i got away with it for awhile but i kept on having to replace batterys. now i have dual marine batterys and 200a alt

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Try NAPA. They have or should be able to order a higher output alternator keeping it in the same casing so no new bracket is needed.
  6. gottaloveOT

gottaloveOT Senior Member

From NAPA

Part: NNE 1N4812HO
    Features & Benefits
    New Specially Designed Rotor & Stator Are Designed For The Maximum Output.; New Slip Rings Are Precision Polished.; Rectifiers 100% New, Press Fit Welded Construction w/ 70 Amp Diode.; All Brushes Are 100% New High Quality Brushes.

Features and Benefits PDF

Alternator Amperage : 200 Amp
    Pulley Type : 6 Groove
    Voltage Regulator Type : Internal

Warrantied To Be Free Of Defects In Workmanship & Materials. This Limited Lifetime Warranty Is Not Transferable. Light Trucks/Vans With Diesel Engines Under 8000 lbs. GVW Warranty Is TWO (2) Years.

Application Information: 2004 GMC Truck Sierra-2500HD 3/4 Ton - Pickup
    Engines : 6.6 L 403 CID V8 Diesel
    Comments: w/ 6 Groove Pulley;w/ 200 Amp Alternator;High Output Alternator. You Must Sell Cable Kit 13-41K w/ this #Per Car Qty: 1

You have to purchase an upgraded cable to use this. The part number is above.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Dude, WE both have diesels, YOU have the mighty Duramax but all three of the American diesels mostly putter around plowing at LOW RPMs, right? that's where a diesel shines. But it ain't the ideal rpm range to charge a couple of big ol'e batteries! See our dilemma?

Thank God Wyldman solved our problem with an alt that charges big while turnin' slow.payup
    Iv'e got a front blade that's electric and a back blade that's electric and a spreader that's electric and a big FASS fuel pump that's electric and a heater fan that's electric and( it's usually cold out when I plow snow, I don't know why....?)and it also has TWO count 'em, two 95 amp intake air pre heaters and don't get me started on how many lights I have , ALL of those are electric and did I mention the fact that when I turn the key, I'm really fond of when the batteries turn the starter over to crank my high compression diesel engine. That starter is electric, too. WHEW!!!!:dizzy: If they would have had a bigger alt than 250 amps, I would have bought that one instead.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  9. Quality SR

Thanks alot for info. Do i have to change the brackets? I thought the biggest i can go with the stock brackets is 145. Thanks Rich

Thanks for the links, ill check them out.

So by reading all this, i am guessing your answer is YES to upgrading. Thats all i was looking for. Oh thanks for the help.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  10. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck more than likely doesnt have plow prep on it. As for the small alternator. its becuase once the motor is going it really doesnt need the alternator to run anymore becuase of combustion at 22-1. So they they done need to run an ignition system,
  11. gottaloveOT

gottaloveOT Senior Member

The listing didn't say anything about having to change the bracket. I would call a NAPA and give them that part number and ask them.
  12. Quality SR

Thanks Dave. i have to check that, i dont think it have the plow prep. I guess it will be better to upgrade then. thanks for the info. Rich
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It doesn't Rich or I would have included it in the RPO list I sent ya back. :waving:
  14. Quality SR

Thats a good point Mike. I am going to upgrade to a bigger one. The 200 amp sounds good. Thanks for the help.