1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question... when to salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Steel 05, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Steel 05

Steel 05 Junior Member

Hello, I'm new to ice management. I have a question regarding salting. When should i put it down. before the snow falls, during or after? I just want some feedback. Thanks. I love this site!

2. scooper87

scooper87 Member

depends on your contracts and how you have them set up. If the are lump sum for the winter or if its a per storm agreement. also if its roads and parking lots that will be used heavily throughout the day

3. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

-if it is a mild storm 1" or less you can apply before the storm (some clients like it some don't).
    -2" storm we still salt 1/2 the way through the storm to take care of things just with salt.
    -when ever we plow we salt after unless temperature is above freezing.
    -freezing rain you should be out just around the freezing point, rather a little earlier versus to late.

4. Steel 05

Steel 05 Junior Member

I have two. One is included in the contract. It's a high end development, (streets only) The other is a parking lot of a garden center which is by the pound. I guess I'm wondering if I put it done early will it make my job easier in the long run. we are excepting 24 inches starting sunday afternoon and ending wed.

5. scooper87

scooper87 Member

with that much snow you could go out before the storm and pretreat the roads and stuff but I would concentrate on clearing the snow throughout the storm and sanding after its all over

6. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

i wouldn't salt early on a big storm like that, you have to plow maybe 3-4 times to stay on top of things and salt when you are done.
    Wait for things to happen, don't really on the forecast! You will go crazy :)
    Try to have the lot clean early AM for start of business, salted and see what the day brings.