1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question what size lot do you dedicate a machine to??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by csi.northcoast, Mar 2, 2013.

1. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

What size does the lot have to be that you feel you need to leave a dedicated machine to. Do you have an expected # of of hours that make it worth while to leave that machine on site??

Just seeing what the average is . I know it will depend on location and amount of snow per event but just curious
  2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I have 3 lots next to each other takes a 2 speed skid about 8-10 hours after storm is over to finish and yes we keep it open during the storm
    I took one truck off road and it was cheaper to use a skid there
    I have another skid at a car dealer easier to plow and not push snow in front of cars
    It's not always the size some times more the convience
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Size doesn't matter it all comes down to dollars.
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Funny, my wife said the same thing when we were dating.
  5. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

This is the best quote I have ever read
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It is pretty darn funny. Thumbs Up I'm surprised he didn't say that towards me.
  7. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I agree about dollars over time. However, there will be many times when a customer won't specify. They just accept your bid, and knowledge as the professional, and expect the place to look good.

In that case, you need to know your expected service cycle. So if they expect you to be there every 2 hours during a snow event, and it takes 2 hours to plow the lot, then it requires a dedicated truck or machine.

But, if they expect a service cycle of 4 hours throughout storm duration, but the lot takes 1 hour to plow, then obviously your wasting money having a dedicated truck or machine onsite.

Most customers will not request or understand a "service cycle" and as we all know will ask for the lot to be plowed every 2", or every 4", etc... I really try to explain to my customers that unless a competitor has a very intricate system of backup capacity to meet service spec for literally whatever snowfall rate we can possibly experience, they are simply lying to the customer by saying they will plow the lot "every 2 inches of snow". At 2-4 inches per hour, its impossible on most lots.

Many times prospective customers will see me as someone standing outside of the crowd by bringing this to light for them, they will trust me more and see honesty in my response. Many other times they don't get it and simply don't care.