1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

[question] snow plow - snow bear

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Meetoo121, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Meetoo121

Meetoo121 Junior Member
    from Canada

Hey guys first off i would like to say I'm new to the forum. :)

I have seen the many different discussions about snowbears on here. Not looking to argue what's better, I already have a snow bear.

My question is, I currently have a snowbear plow I own a small snow removal company I use the plow on about 10-17 property's no problem at all. I would like to know if anyone has ever tried using it on small commercial parking lot (10 car stalls max) I would like to know if it's possible.

Here in canada - manitoba our average snow fall is 5cm - 10cm so about 3-4" that's the most snow we usually get in a dump. I understand snowbears are not
    Good for big dumps where I live we don't get those big 7-8 " dumps, 4" is rare.

I would just like to no some opinions,
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why would you think it wouldnt work on the "new" property? What's the difference?
  3. Meetoo121

Meetoo121 Junior Member
    from Canada

Just didn't know if a commercial lot, (parking stalls) was do able with it

Sorry I'm really new to Plowing I have had the company for 5 years but this is the first year I bought a snowbear
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well, I think your not gunna like the answer but, it's a snowbear,,,that's a home owner plow. If your beating it up, it won't take it. Sure, you can do it, will it take longer yes, if hit a curb to hard are you gunna break it...Sure.
    Still not understanding your thinking that "commercial" lot means something different.
    If you've had the company for 5 years you have had to at some point researched snowplows. And you chose snowbear? Not sure I get that one.
  5. stone74

stone74 Member

I live in Manitoba as well, buying a Sno bear was a big mistake, I have been doing snow clearing here for quite some time and we have quite a few events over the 10cm when you include all the blow in and drifting snow.
    Prior to starting my company I had a sno bear, hit a curb at low speed trying to help out a stranded motorist and it bent in half, complete garbage. I use a Sno-Way plow now and have hit many hidden curbs etc...with no damage. I see guys around with the Canadian tire or Home Depot plows and just chuckle to myself as for a few bucks more they could have properly outfitted their truck.
    In my opinion it will not hold up to any commercial lots, hit something and its all over.
  6. forkicks

forkicks Member

Every now and than a Snowbear plow question pops up. Someone gets one but after hearing everyone talking about how real professionals would never use one they start second guessing their choice. They start to ask questions to try and get a response back to help them justify or agree with them in their reasoning for the purchase. In my opinion every plow has it's place. Speaking from actual experience with one for many years they do work well. By that I mean if you do not plow beyond the limits of the plow than it serves it's purpose. It is a great plow when a lighter foot print is needed. I have used mine for plowing out grass area's that a heavier plow would have made a mess. I have also used it to plow out driveway's that had up to 8" of snow in it. The key is to how well you know the limits of your equipment and than not pushing them beyond that. It is a nice cheap set up if you do not mind getting in and out to constantly change the angle of the blade. But with a plan of attack you can minimize the need to constantly get in and out. So to answer your question yes it will work fine just do not expect to build monster snow piles with it. You should be able to make your money back and than actually make a profit with it this season. 1800 is easier to make back than 4500 or more for a full hydraulic set up new.
  7. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

We have one on a ram 4x4 we use for drives we can't get 8' blades in. We have modified it quite a bit. It has a 3 inch angle welded on the wear bar and 2" angle welded a cross the entire back. It's even been used to plow 2 road contracts we have. It does work but not like the 8' Meyer. We've used it 7 yrs and still going fine. It's been in a lot of 12" - 15" snows. Use what you have and don't cowboy it. Of course this has been modified!