1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question regarding Snofoils or Rubber shield

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by jd5320, Dec 12, 2009.

1. jd5320

jd5320 Junior Member

Thank you for your responses. Guys I am purchasing a new Fisher 8 and Half foot plow and I'm just not sure what to go with as far as a snow foil or the fisher black rubber.
    I have a ford f-350 crew cab and will be using it to just plow my own building parking lot about 1 acre. I will check back Sunday.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would get the rubber flap. Cheaper, lighter, doesn't bend when you hit stuff, doesn't pull snow down when stacking.

3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I agree w/ 2COR 100%.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

rubber flap.

and i would get the old gravle belting thats been listed here before on ebay cheep. its heavy duty and cheeper. and will last about foreverwesport

and why 8ft 6in ? you will be odd man out. most everyone is 8ft or 9ft. i would get the 9 ft my self.

5. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

I never had a foil or a flap, I don't miss it. I never plow fast enough to actually throw snow up my plow.

I don't do high speed routes. Most neighborhoods. Plenty of parking lots...I'd save your money.

6. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I've had both on my current Fisher. The rubber flap kit is my choice all the way up until plowing roads/streets. It will keep blown over snow and snow dust to a minimum, and has essentially no drawbacks.

Plowing streets, the metal Snofoil just can't be beat. It really does roll and channel the snow off to the side extremely well. At higher speeds, the rubber flap does let snow blow over the top of the blade. Not anything like a plow with no shield, but enough to be annoying. The downside to the metal foil is the potential to damage it when pushing into a snowbank. I still stack snow with my foil, but you need to be more careful about it.

So, in your case, I'd go with the rubber flap kit.

7. jd5320

jd5320 Junior Member

Thank You guys Rubber it is.
    Another question how about hand held conrol or mounted joy stick?

8. BSM Exhaust

BSM Exhaust Member

I had the joy stick on my last Fisher. I found the hand held Fishstik is very convenient.

9. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Mostly comes down to personal preference. I've used the handheld Fishstick in my last couple trucks, which I really prefer over the joystick for the most part. You can settle back in the seat better, and not constantly leaning forward reaching for the stick. For me, the thumb control felt natural right from the start. I've heard of others just not able to get used to it, and would rather use the joystick style.

Now that I plow streets mostly, I see less of a need for the handheld, since it sits in its bracket most of the time. I don't have to change the plow position very often except when doing intersections or town-owned parking lots (where I'm glad to have the handheld).

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

look here for my problem solver i came up with for my rubber flap . it works like a rubber flap and then a snow foil with a little flex with the chains as the limiting chains. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=91683

11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Hand held all the way. I prefer to hold it in my right hand and also hold it while I shift.

12. jd5320

jd5320 Junior Member

Thank You for taking the time to post guys was alot of help.

13. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Having used my 8' HD with both the joystick and the fishstick, I prefer the fishstick overall. The only thing that the joystick has over the fishstick is that you have more finate control over the adjustments and you can wiggle the joystick back and forth to shake the plow to knock snow off. Also, the joystick allows you to use the plow to push yourself out of a bank if need be. Finally, the joystick is a bit quicker to drop into float mode as you just need to touch it down and it is in float, vs. the fishstick you have to hold it down for a second. The last one isn't a big deal though, and actually the fishstick is easier if you're driving around with the plow on to adjust the height without it wanting to drop into float.

There is some logic built into the fishstick where it will coast the plow direction a bit. If you're moving left for instance and let go of the button, the plow will continue to move to the left a touch and sort of glide to a stop. Apparently this is to ease the amount of shaking on the truck. Not a huge deal, just something you have to get used to is all.

The convenience of being able to sit back in the seat and not have to lean or think about the joystick is nice though.

14. jd5320

jd5320 Junior Member

Thank you Bersh, gonna go with the fishstick.