1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question regarding dump trucks and salt....

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TheXpress2002, Jan 18, 2008.

1. TheXpress2002

TheXpress2002 2000 Club Member
    from Canton

Any suggestions when it comes to the salt inside the dump box when it wont slide down easily without having to slam the box up and down 20 times to move it down.

One suggestion was a box vibrator but I can not seem to find one that would do the job.
    (I have the vibrators on my smaller snow ex 6000 but they are POS's)

Any sugguestions would help.....TIA
  2. jrglandscape

jrglandscape Member

I bought a trailer that had a teflon sheet over the top of it. I cut it up and put it in my dump inserts. It works great!! Raise the box a little and touch the brakes it does the trick
  3. TheXpress2002

TheXpress2002 2000 Club Member
    from Canton

Where would you find a piece a Teflon that large
  4. Stang977

Stang977 Junior Member

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

i do not no about teflon (expensive) but try calling a shop that sell's repair parts for van type trailer's they have a scuff sheet that they put on the bottom of trailers to prevent scoffing the bottom wall's with fork trucks .i new 1 guy that lined the bottom of his dump body to make a poor mans liner to keep stuff from sticking .the place he got it from was jim hawk truck trailers http://wwwjht.com/ they have locations all over
  6. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

always keep your box clean and free of frozen debris like salt, dirt, etc...

if it's a small amount, like 2 tones, as soon as they load you, tilt your box and move all the salt into a pile at the back.

the salt sticks worse when the bed is wet, so by moving the salt to the back of the bed right away, it seems to prevent alot of the sticking. It will also stop the salt from freezing in a 3" layer across the box. (it does spread out when you drive)

try not to leave the salt in your box over night, as it freezes a layer to the box and causes more salt to bung up.

you can try painting on a coat of rust paint too, but it will probably just come off after 3-4 times. Personally I don't use anything. But with an aluminum box you will get less sticking.

Personally, when I buy a new dump in the spring I'm going to make the box heated. Because it's handy for asphalt jobs and I think it might stop salt from freezing up in my box. I'm not sure why more people don't do this as it's an inexpensive option to add a heated box.
  7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

You need to call Bob Church at Karrier, he is the harness,controller and vibrator wizzard. I just bought a set up from Bob for my Downeaster Dump insert and it was the best workmanship that I have seen in years.

Regards Mike
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

They do have slippery paint. I can't remember the name of it though. We have used it on the farm with great results. They do sell poly liners at most semi trailer places.
  9. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

also, you can make your own vibrator for the dump truck bed using an old starter. You affix a piece of rubber to the output shaft so it spins and beats up against the bed.

I just finished making one and will let you know how it works.
  10. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

Go the cheap way go to home depot and get a hammer size is up to you the bigger ones work a little better. Lift the box all the way up and hit one of the rails under the box a couple times its always worked for us. Its very rare that that doesnt work and if that doesnt work i dont think a vibrator is going to help you either.:nod:
  11. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

haha real mens logic if it dosent work get a bigger hammer. company i workd for always kept the salt trucks full and inside the shop. the beds were nothing special done to them. i think the salt and stuff always dumping out of them kept the beds pretty smooth. bed up tap the brakes. u usally get a better jerk when the bed hits the bottom stop and not the top. but maybe that was just the truck i was in. and with a good central hydro if u close the valve real quick it will jerk the bed

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

spray some diesel on the bed floor before loading..works good...cheap
  13. Kale Lawn

Kale Lawn Senior Member
    from Ohio

1/2 gallon of diesel mixed with 2 cups dish soap works good.. put it in a sprayer and coat the bed.... I've also heard of sprinkling powered laundry detergant on the bed before loading too
  14. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

Do a Search...

1.Vibco bed vibrators- very heavy duty, will do the job on a tractor trailer dump.

2. Dump bed liner

I have both in both of my dumps, what a difference, no sticking of anything.
  15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

16. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

go 2 lowes and buy a tarp
  17. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Do not offer salting services to your clients.