1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question regarding carbide

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Weav, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Weav

Weav Junior Member
    from USA

I work in the carbide industry, and one of my customers swears he uses a 3/4" x 6" x 4' blade made entirely of carbide. I told him that's a size normally given for a steel blade into which carbide is brazed. You guys are the ones using the end products...can you help me out a little?
    ¬_¬
    ~the carbide guy

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What plow is that going on? 4' ain't close to standard size.
    And how heavy is that thing?

3. Weav

Weav Junior Member
    from USA

dieselss, I don't really know! I provide the carbide that is used as the wearing edge for plows...but I admit I'm a little ignorant when it comes to the practical application.
    ¬_¬
    ~the carbide guy

4. Fhawk52

Fhawk52 Junior Member

We use the brazed in carbide in 2 ,3, or 4 ' sections lined together side by side to add up to the full plow width and a 1 piece full length steel bolted through the carbide to the plow.

5. Weav

Weav Junior Member
    from USA

Is the carbide 4' long or is that the steel blade, with small inch-long carbide inserts? Anyone have pictures?

6. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

7. Weav

Weav Junior Member
    from USA

I'm familiar with Kennametal as they would be considered competition. The more I read the more it looks like there's no such thing as a solid carbide blade...only steel blades with carbide inserts. If anyone can disprove that notion I'd love to hear about it!

8. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Stupid question... (some of you may be used to that from me.)

Wouldn't a full Carbide cutting edge blade be far to brittle to even bolt to the plow?

9. Weav

Weav Junior Member
    from USA

That was the thought that occurred to me when I first heard someone ask! Depending on the chemistry carbide can be tougher than most people think, but I would still think that it would work best for a plow as an insert.

10. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

So do you have cutting edges?

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Carbide weighs just over two times the weight of carbon steel.

Inserting carbide round stock like Kennametal does in an edge is the way to go.

12. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

We know...but in the OP he said he had a guy claiming he had a "FULL" carbide cutting edge...hence the question, to the carbide guy.

It is also far too impact sensitive to withstand the rigors of plowing in that form. AFAIK

13. Weav

Weav Junior Member
    from USA

I'm just a carbide expert trying to learn from the plow experts! And I do appreciate the info guys. I posted a thread over in another forum but got no answers.

14. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

We run 11' steel edges backed by carbide on some of our municipal plows. Don't know anyone who runs a straight carbide edge only
    Our steel edge is usually 11' x 1/2" x 6" or 8" backed by 3 sections of carbide same height and thickness but lengths are 4', 4' and 3' to make up 11'.

15. NAC

NAC Senior Member

I run a tungsten carbide insert blade behind a steel cover blade with Kennametal curb guards that have the carbide bullets in them. Usually the carbide is brazed in a slot in a steel blade.

16. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Either he is mistaken or he means it is a solid insert, not the plug style. I would hate to see the price of a solid piece of carbide that size. We have tried them both, and they work about the same. The ones we had with the plugs did work very well on packed snow until the nubs wore down even with the rest of the edge, then worked as well as the others. In our area we stopped using the plug style due to they were a bit more in price. we use them on all our plows, and I swear by them for our smaller plows.