1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question on wings???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by THEGOLDPRO, Oct 4, 2009.

1. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i did a quick search cant seem to find anything, anyways i have a set of wings im gonna throw on i believe they are pro wings, anyways they need the rubber replaced because one side is cracked and broken, now my question is this.

do i have to replace it with rubber, or can i replace it with a steel similer to my plows cutting edge??? it just seems like the rubber would wear fast.

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

rubber is there so it flexes. steel would rip the wing mounts off the blade

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Agreed..........get urethane.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

If you use steel for your wings...your plow will not trip correctly either....because of the angle forward of the wings.

5. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Another benefit to the rubber is that it doesn't tear up the grass as easily as the steel would. I wouldn't worry about the wear factor, as it seems the rubbers crack/break before wear ever becomes an issue.

6. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

When you mount the rubber edges use the biggest washers you can find and don't tighten them down too much; let the rubber flex. They still rip but keep some spares on hand and sometimes you can flip them and use the other side. Have not tried the urethane but it seems like it would rip up the grass easily on drives and is more$$.

7. THEGOLDPRO

i can see why people say only use rubber as it flexes, but i cant see a 1-2 inch piece of urathane being much diffrent then steel, its not gonna flex like rubber, so why would urathane work and not steel????

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

cracking & breaking of rubber is usually due to over tightening of the bolts, or bad compounds.

You guys plow the yard for people to?;).....I run rubber, urethane, & steel edges...everything has it's advantages/place, and IMO your better off going with urethane for the wings....ecspecially if your main edge is steel.

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

cause 1.5 inch thick urethane DOES flex.

10. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

[
    Code:
    QUOTE][/QUOTE]You guys plow the yard for people to?;).....
    Only when the edge of the driveway is moving....:drinkup:

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Nice......:D

12. THEGOLDPRO

i dunno i cant see 1.5inch urathane flexing.

13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

so throw them on and when the break cuz they dont flex then send him the billpayup

that is if they dont bend..lol

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Ok your right they dont, what am I thinking :rolleyes:........you should put steel on.

15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

:confused:

16. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

just messing with GP..cuz if he say it dont happen then it dont happen:salute:lol

17. THEGOLDPRO

ill prolly just put steel on, i dont really believe half the things i hear on here.

18. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

not to bash anyone but arent the blizzards full trip with steel wing edges? so how is a a full trip plow with steel wing edges different than a blizzard. i have no experience with either pro wings or blizzards but just a thought.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Two completely different things. A Blizzard was designed from the get go to use a steel edge on the wings, the wings themselves are attached to the moldboard by far more than two chintzy brackets and they have reliefs built into the hydros protect the wings. And even with this design guys still damage the wings. And those said wings are built to much much tougher standards than that of a pin on prowing.

And just to help GP here the prowings use the flexible edge AS A RELIEF to protect the wings and the plow it's attached to. Remove the relief and both the wings and their bracketry will be scrap in no time as it's tough enough to keep them on and straight with a flexible edge let alone without any protection at all. With steel edges the question isn't if it will work, it's how long will the setup survive...and I promise it won't be long. It's been tried before...with destructive results each and every single time.

20. THEGOLDPRO

i see, i see, its all making sence now.