1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on which truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by caz41, Dec 31, 2004.

1. caz41

caz41 Member

I am looking at getting a new truck. I have been a Chevy guy for years and have had real good luck with the Chevy's. If I were to go with the bowtie, I would get a 2500HD with the Duramax and Allison tranny. However I have been looking at the Ford 250 Super Duty with the PSD. I like the fact that the Ford has the dual alternator, plow prep package, and new factory trailer brake system. Any suggestions on which one to go with. Just a little further info, I would be using the truck for plowing, some personal use (hauling ATV and such) and also pulling my 16 ft. enclosed trailer out West for Elk hunting. Biggest comparison that I am looking for are reliability, how plow friendly the truck is, gas mileage, and such. Any help would be appreciated, I for sure want to go with a diesel, though I have never owned a diesel in the past. Thanx in advance.
  2. Robo

Robo Senior Member

I grew up in a chevy household and have had chevys all my life. But Ford really knows how to build the super duty pickups.

I don't about their newest version of the PS diesel but haven't heard many bad things about it.

Another thing is chevy isn't putting plow prep on there diesel trucks 05 or newer.
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

actually on Chevys you can get the snow plow prep on the diesel. I built one the other day on gmbuypower. you can't get it on the GMC for some reason though. When you select the SPP you can't get automatic climate control like it really matters. you can also get dual alternators. As far as gas mileage goes, a few friends of mine get 23 empty on the highway and 16 pulling an 18 ft open trailer. That's why i am buying a GMC ext cab SLT duramax/allison. And am gonna put a V plow on it. hope this helps
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  4. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I have a 97 F350 Crew Cab dualy with a PSD and love it. My friend has 2 a 2000 F350 Crew Cab Dualy and a 2003 identical to the 2000. He gets about 100 miles more out of a tank of fuel than I do. He gets around 550 miles to about 38 gallons. I like my truck but its a truck, his is like a fancy car inside and I like the new mirrors much better than the old style. I wish I could get them for my 97 but I think the wing window would get in the way. I pulled a 40' trailer with it and those mirrors made all the difference. That trailer was around 11,000 lbs and I was running 70 with no problem. I'm sure the Chevy is just as good I just have always owned Fords. Old habbits are hard to break I guess. Congrats on the new purchase I was going to trade my 97 in this year for a 2000 or 2001 but I just can't swing it, maybe next year.
  5. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

The chevy has the heavy duty Allison tranny, the tranny would be a large factor if i was buying a new truck. just my .02 cents
  6. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

You can get duel alts on the D/A I have a 145 amp on mine and never had any problems with it.