1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on Whelen LED Hide-a-ways

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by jerry b., Jan 1, 2009.

1. jerry b.

jerry b. Member

Guys, I was just curious if someone could help me out here. I was looking at the Whelen LED hide-a-ways and I was wondering if anyone on here had them installed on their truck. Are the LED hide-a-ways brighter then a comparable 60 watt strobe hide-a-way system ?? :confused: Are the LED's brighter then a comparable 90 watt hide-a-way system ?? :confused:

I never had a set on any of my trucks but I have seen them on other trucks on the road. I have seen some sets at night that I think are not worth the money then also I have seen hide-a-ways that are super bright and impressed me very much. Any comments would be more then welcome. :)

I was throwing the idea around of putting a set on my 2008 F-350 Superduty. I recently ordered a Whelen magnet mount Mini-Justice light bar for my roof and am supposed to get it UPS in a couple of days. I was thinking of getting a four corner hide-a-way system to complement my lightbar and am curious which direction I should go. Should I go LED or strobe, if strobe 60 or 90 watt ? :confused: Clear bulbs or amber--It seems to me the clear ones are much brighter then the colored bulbs and in Ohio here the clear bulbs are legal. Also, what about enough space in the front lights and the rear taillights ? I know the strobe bulbs are bigger then the LEDS. Will I have enough room to put the strobes in the rear lights or should I spend the extra money and get the smaller LED lights because of lack of space concerns ? Any help would be greatly appreciated being that before I buy I want to make sure I have enough room for them to fit and function correctly.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

Whelen Vertex is awsome heres a video

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZgjyYEjBjAg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZgjyYEjBjAg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. jerry b.

jerry b. Member

Very cool video there Fia ! :) I am just curious which way I should go with my 2008 F-350 Superduty. I have read here that there is not much room in the back reverse lights for the hideaway strobes (no problem in the fronts) and that if you put the bulbs in the red taillights it really cuts down on the flash it produces so I just wanted to get some input by someone on here that might have installed them on a 2008 Ford Superduty. Hopefully I will get some feedback by some fellow members here today because I want to make sure I know what I want and what is feasible before I put down the cash for a system.

4. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

If space is an issue, go with LED because you don't have to worry about how much room there is around the lighthead and melting the housing. LED's don't give off heat like strobe tubes do, so clearance is not an issue. Also, the LED's do not put nearly the drain on your electrical system that strobes do. For LED, you could easily do amber LEDs and you get true amber color, not the washed out yellow of strobes.

If you decide to go strobe, go for the 90watt, you'll be glad you did and stick with the clear tubes

5. jerry b.

jerry b. Member

Thanks for the input there Nick. I went back and read the other threads in this forum on this subject and if I go with the strobe kit the rear reverse lights in my 2008 F-350 Superduty are out of question but the 90 watt strobe kit is very bright and works well in the rear taillights with plenty of room. I also found out the 15 foot cable in the kit will not be long enough to reach my rear lights being that I have a extended cab truck. I will have to get 20 or 25 foot cables to ensure enough slack to properly install them. I am leaning towards getting the 90 watt Whelen strobe kit being the price compared to the LED's and that I will not be running them for extended periods of time though I was told if they are installed properly they will not melt the bezels. I do know many local police departments here where I live use the same kit with years of reliable service. I think the 90 watt strobe hideaways will be a nice complement to my new Whelen Mini-justice LED lightbar. I will think it over for a while though before I make the purchase. SIRENNET has the 90 watt 4-head kit for $198.00.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Whelen 90 watt 4 head system in my 08 Chevy and it is really bright. You might try looking at Strobesnmore.com as they have a great selection and are really good about getting items out timely.

7. jerry b.

jerry b. Member

Thanks for the input there Hamel. I have a 2008 superduty and the only thing holding me back from buying the 90 watt strobe system is making sure there is sufficient room in the taillight housing to safely install them. There is plenty of room in the front but in the back the clear reverse housing is way to small for the strobes but there is more room in the taillight housing. I need to talk to someone that has this system installed in their 2008 superduty just to make sure.

8. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

You could use the rear red taillight then if theres no room in the reverse light. I thnik a 90 watt 4 head kit would compliment the mini justice nicely.

9. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

the new lights on the super duty are not good to get amber in the rear i go with lin3 mounted on the rear

10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Jerry B, check to see if ford is like chevy and has pre drilled punch out holes in rear lights. Also I have been told that rear facing red is illegal but in Mn a trooper told me that if the rear strobes flash in unison that you can have tehm for safety for backing into a road. It is no different than your flashers being on only a lot brighter. Front corners are nice for day ops but at night I shut my fronts off as the reflection off the balde is unreal.

11. jerry b.

jerry b. Member

Hi there Hamel. I don't think I need to worry about putting them in the red taillights here in Ohio. Things are real lax here in Ohio. Guys drive around at night all the time with the hideaways in amber and white, and some also in the red taillights. I do not think that would be an issue here in Ohio. I just got to find a guy who has installed them on a 08' Ford Superduty before I go ahead and buy them. I can get a 90 watt Whelen 4 corner complete system for $198.00. Not worried about price, just the issue with the rear taillights and once I get some positive input I will order them pronto and get em' installed.

12. jerry b.

jerry b. Member

If I get the 90 watt kit I will get clears and mount them inside the taillight. Ohio is pretty lax on light issues unlike other states. We got many guys running around with hideaways at night in the taillights and never seen or heard of anyone getting written up for it.

13. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I know several people with 07 and 08 fords with them I will try to get some pics soon and post them here for viewing

14. jerry b.

jerry b. Member

Thanks Hamel. :) Just remember the taillights on the 07's are different then the 08's. The 2008 is the first year of the redesigned bodystyle. Mine is an 08'.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  15. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

heres a few videos of my truck
    i have a 90w whelen strobe kit with 6 bulbs
    2 clear in headlights 2 amber in front turn signals and 2 clear in tailights
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fPPC62d5Prs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fPPC62d5Prs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k3YcQjtr9Ds&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k3YcQjtr9Ds&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

16. jerry b.

jerry b. Member

Very nice Colligan. :D Colligan, any issues with the bezels getting hot or melting with your truck ???? :confused::confused:

17. ColliganLands

no issues at all they work great and dont really feel too hot either

18. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

Whelen Vertex LED in an '08 SuperDuty, shows just HOW CLOSE you can mount the LEDs to the light bulb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  19. jerry b.

jerry b. Member

Hi there Nick. :) I think Collin's truck has the 90 watt strobe kit if that is what you are referring to.

20. ColliganLands

nick you could have put the bulb higher or lower to avoid that?
    my truck has a 90w strobe kit the vertex was just coming out when i did mine