1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question on tires

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Geary44, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

ok guys on my 2008 dodge ram 1500 i have 275/60/20 tires that came stock on it, and i just bought a set of used 17" dodge rims for the winter. i need to know what would be the best size for my truck it is stock height with no leveling kit or anything. I want to try and have my new tires be as close to the same height and width as the 275/60/20 tires as possible. any info will be greatly appreciated thank you
  2. hemipower5.7

hemipower5.7 Member

i have an 2004 2500 stock ride height with 285/75-17's no problems with rubbing or anything
  3. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

4. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

yes that really helps a lot thank you very much. now i have anothe question for you now that i know what size to get... what actual tire would be good for plowing
  5. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

There's a loaded question. Just about everyone has their own opinion on what's "best".

A dedicated snow/ice tire like a Bridgestone Blizzak or Cooper M+S, especially studded, can't be beat for icy road surfaces. The drawback is that they are of a softer compound, and must be removed after winter is over or they'll wear really fast.

For a year-round tire, I like a decent all-terrain type tire with lots of biting edges and siping in the tread blocks. Sometimes your best bet is to read reviews of tires, focusing on reviews from people with a similar vehicle as yours. What works well on a lightweight Jeep Wrangler may be horrible on an F-350.

I hate to always use TireRack as a reference, but they do have a lot of good info there.

The tech center: http://www.tirerack.com/about/techcenter.jsp

Here's a page where you can plug in your vehicle and see reviews from those with a similar truck: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/MenuServlet?search=surveyComments

There are tons of threads here on plowsite about tires. If you want to read until your head explodes, use the search feature at the top of the page and search for tires. Even after you do that, you still may not know what you want.

Will I pick a tire for you?? Heck no.

For myself, I just ordered Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2s for my truck, after way too much thinking about it. They may be on backorder, since I haven't seen them yet. I have no idea what I'd order in their place. I'm not going through that again unless I have to :rolleyes:
  6. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

7. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Of the three, I'd probably shoot for the DuraTracs, mostly based on these (taken right from their description page):

--Mountain Snowflake Symbol Designation for outstanding winter traction.

--Pinned for #16 metal studs enhanced traction in winter driving conditions.

Pinned for studs, should you decide that they don't do well enough on slick surfaces (nice to have that option).

The "Mountain Snowflake" symbol. An industry standard for a decent snow/ice tire. http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125
  8. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

thanks a lot you have really been helpful
  9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I just tried to get the Dura Tracs and was told they are on national back order. I don't know if that was for just my size tire or what. They suggested i get the silent armors pro grade instead .
  10. Tread Depot

Tread Depot Inactive
    from GA

I just checked my inventory and I currently have one set of the Dura Tracs, size 285/70R17, 8 ply. They sell for $196/tire.