1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on the boss 9'2"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by deluxeco, Jan 1, 2003.

1. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

Have a chance to pick up a 9'2" rtII boss v blade for my dump,the unit came off a chevy kodiak & is like new will the width be sufficient for mounting this plow on an IH 4600 dump?I like the idea of being able to tuck the blades in when I'm salting without haveing to maneuver around with a hudge blade out front.....

2. Firesource

Firesource Junior Member

Boss v-plows

I've got the Boss 8'2" V-Plow and have only good things to say. On the issue of tucking in the blades for easier manuvering --- you may find that you have the flare them out slightly when entering / exiting driveways and/or parking lots -- as the far corners of my v-plow will occasionally scrape dips/rises in the road.

Good luck!

3. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

The question is will the 9'2" be wide enough for the IH4600,I know this was the biggest plow boss carried for a while & i'm assuming it was mounted on the bigger trucks?

4. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

boss makes a 10FT V also.get a tape measure i would say you need at least 6 inches past fenders.the wider the better

5. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

I am running a Boss 9'2" on my trucks. Both have a 141" wheel base. The rear wheels do run in the snow on occassion during sharp turning. The other thing is is that a 10' Boss V is built a lot heavier for the 14000-27000 lbs trucks. The 10' also has a diffrent curvature to the blade and it is also taller than a 9'2".

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not sure of the model number for IH, but there is a landscape co in Holland, MI that has been running 9'2" on IH's for several years. They are the low-profile models if that helps.

My only concern is how well the plow would stand up to that much weight behind it. We have enough repairs on the ones that we have on 1 tons and 3/4 tons. But like I said, they have been running them for several years--on more than one truck.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have the Boss 9'2" on my Dodge 3/4 ton,I wouldnt put it on a big heavy truck,IMO the Boss can barley stay in place on my 3/4 ton.As soon as you start pushing heavy snow the wings will colapse anyway,even turning up the blowoff doesnt stop it,it did help a bit,but this plow cannot use the full capabilitys of my 3/4 ton ,no way will it work well on that heavy truck.You need a MD v plow,IMO.The design of the Boss plow is to have the wings blow back to the straight position,then trip when an immovable object is hit.This is needed to compensate for the lack of a trip edge,it is a band aid for a poorly engineered plow,this is why Boss V's wings collapse so much when straight blading heavy snow.

8. WNY PAT

WNY PAT Member

Smart Lock Cylinders

I have the 8'2" Boss V on my '02 Silverado 2500HD. The Smart Lock Cylinders (about $200) prevent the plow blades from being pushed back by snow and help a whole lot with backdragging. The couple of times I've hit curbs... my blade trips just fine..... and if the snow gets real heavy where you are.... the added weight required to trip the blade compared to other plows comes in handy. I've found that a plow that trips too easily will run right up over the snow / slush. No good where I live. As for your set up with a bigger truck... I don't really know.... but I imagine you could make due with a 9'2" on a heavier truck.

9. CWE71

CWE71 Junior Member
    from KANSAS

We have a 9'2" Boss mounted on a 1997 Int. 4700 with a 10' dump box . It works real well . It has been mounted on that truck for 3 years with no problems . We did have to build a bracket that bolts on to the frame .

10. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

Thanks alot for the input everyone! My question is on the smart lock cylinders where do you get them,how do they work & will they work on the rtII series V?

11. WNY PAT

WNY PAT Member

Smart Lock II

I would think they would be easy to find and install.... any Boss dealer should have them... you'd probably even be able to find out more info at bossplows.com

Here's a link:

Boss Plow Options

Last edited: Jan 3, 2003
  12. Foz

Foz Senior Member

Boss 10 FT Vee

Hold on if you are planning on putting a Vee on the 4600. We have had nothing but trouble with the 2 10 FT Boss Vee plows I just put on our new GMC 5500. There has been a redesign for extra bracing of the wings because they are weak. We just had 1 plow replaced and the second replacement is on order.

For a plow that is designed for 14k to 27K weight class trucks, I don't think it has enough strength. I think my 8 FT Western Pro blades are twice the blade..........VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!:mad: :(

13. UHLGS

UHLGS Junior Member

We used a 9'2 Boss on an older F600. As long as we plowed slowly and carefully, we didn't have any problems. If we got to enthustiastic with it we invariably bent or broke something on the plow. I always felt it was too much truck for the plow. F600 was a 20000# rig.

14. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I run the 9'2" w/ smartlocks on a 03 ram 2500. The wings never fold back unless I hit a curb or other immovable object. Great Blade....