1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question On Strobe Hideaway Install

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by fordtruck661, Apr 8, 2011.

1. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Ok so Im going to be installing some strobe hideaways but Im thinking of just using some Velcro and sticking it to the power supply and putting it under the seat. So what Im asking is this ok? or should i put a ground onto the power supply? (I know I read a post on this before I just cant find it know)

Also I have hooked everything up before but I was running the power right off of the fuse panel. Should I run a wire w/ a fuse to the battery instead?

lastly has any one used a colored strobe hideaway....does the color fade after awhile?

Any answers would be great! THANKS ussmileyflag

:mechanic:

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

WELCOME TO PLOWSITE!

I would just mount the supply under the seat. I wouldn't mess with trying to velcro it to the underside of the seat or anything. The power supply is grounded thru the power plug on the harness.(the 2 plugs that that come in the same box as the supply.) They have little 10 inch or so pig tails of wire. It should be Red Black and Purple or Yellow on the 1 plug and Blue Green and yellow, or Purple on the other. Purple is the intesity or dimming wire and yellow is pattern. (whelen units.)

I would run it directly to the battery. Make sure to put a 15 amp fuse at the battery too. Also ground it at the battery too. Its just easier that way.

I am not sure about colored strobe tubes. I have never used them. I have seen them in use before and the red doesn't look red, its more of a pinkish looking color. I have not seen any other color in use besides the red and clear before. If you can put them behind a colored lens. Like amber or red. You'll get less flash back that way, and it wont blind you when you are plowing at night and its snowing like a motha out. Hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have seen many colored tube installs, and they do not work well at all.
    clear tubes behind a colored lens is the way to go.

4. fordtruck661

from CT

Ok Im thinking of getting some blue strobes and putting them in to the fog lights and in the revise lights. I need them to look blue will the blue tubes work at all? This is for the fire dept and they cant look white, red or amber only blue.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Get the whelen vertex, or the Sound Off signal led hide aways. Those are true colors.

6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

When you put the wire at the battery, use a glass fuse and at the mode button, use a regular fuse.

7. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i don't agree with whats posted here and instead of arguing please email me if you want advice.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

George, what don't you agree with? PM me if you want.

9. fordtruck661

from CT

If you could just say what you do not agree with that would be great. I want to get both of your opinions just don't start arguing over it. Any advice you guys could give would be great! Thanks

10. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

It's sometimes easier but not entirely necessary to run to battery, great grounds can be found under the dashboard and a simple 6 pack can easily be feed power off the cigarette fuse IF you use the fused side of the fuse you don't even need a fuse there.

SOME look crappy, those are the cheap painted bulbs, WHELEN bulbs are a dyed glass and my reds look red as can be, so do the ambers...CHEAP bulbs look bad..not good ones.

Use a standard fuse here if you do, either a mini or regular sized plastic is fine...glass fuses are hard to find and easy to break...leaving you stranded if you cant find a new one. NO benefit to using glass since the 70's when plastic wasn't around. And there is no need to fuse mode button at all

Based on your blue needs this is the best advice i can give also, you will be much better off going with a pair of vertex or tir3 in blue..strobes are PRIMARILY white warning lights...before the advent of LED everything colors were used (still are) but it's easier and more reliable to use leds.

when you wire your leds you can piggy back right off any fuse you want and just add a switch.

Just my opinions guys...no disrespect...just how "I" would do this..

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  11. oakvillerex

oakvillerex Member

also if you use the vertex's you dont need a huge power supply

12. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

my son in law has whelen blue tubes in his truck. he took them out and sent them back because they gave a wierd color, and were not easy to see during the day. i replaced them with clear tubes and colored lenses. just as visible during the day as the colored tubes were at night.

13. fordtruck661

from CT

I agree that led is the best way to go but the main reason Im going with strobes is because I all ready have the power supply and all the cables for the lights. And its a 90Watt power pack so I think you should be able to see it good in the day.

Thanks for all the input guys it helps a lot!