1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on solenoid valves

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dirttrackin16, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Dirttrackin16

Dirttrackin16 Junior Member

I was wondering if someone could help me. After downloading the mechanics guide and reading several threads on here, I believe I have a problem in one of the valves. The problem is I can't get the S-2, 3-way valve to come out. I can crack it loose with a wrench, it turns easy for several turns, then gets tight. I applied a small amount of pressure with a wrench, but it just seams to get tighter. Is there something I have to take out first, or is it possibly a bad O-ring or something in the threads? The plow only acts up a couple of times in a day, so I didn't think it could be a bad O-ring, but who knows? By the way, I'm new at this posting on forums, so bear with me if I screw something up. Thank You.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

what kind of plow?

You can try working it back and forth. put some penetration fluid (rust buster on the threads), then turn the valve back in until it seats. Then turn it back out slowly . Keep doing this (in and out) and hopefully it will come out. This what I do with bolts..

Info on what going on with the plow..

Info on the truck the plow is on?

What kind of plow, and is it a relay system, or a mod??

The more info the better we can help..

3. Dirttrackin16

Thanks for the reply Twinman. The plow is on an old 88 Chev and is a Isarmatic according to the pictures in the mechanics guide and it has relays. I think it is all a factory setup because it was owned and used by a Chev dealership. I just use it for my own driveway and a couple of others, so the plow never comes off. The 9 pin plug was getting bad so I replaced that and changed oil and cleaned the filter. The last snow we had everything worked fine for the first hour and then when I tried to raise the plow it would only turn right even when trying to turn it left. I backed into the garage and pulled the other two valves out but didn't see anything wrong. I tried to pull the 3-way valve but it wouldn't come out. I put it all back together and it worked fine in the garage. I started plowing again but it screwed up on the first pass. I then wiggled the control side to side and it started working again. It did that a couple more times and has worked great ever since. There is a possibility of more snow later in the week, so I would like to check it out so I don't have any problems then.

4. twinman326

Sounds like you have a harness problem.. Wiggle near were the plow and vehicle harness connect..There might be a bad pin, or bent pin, or even a wire ready to break..Mine did the same exact thing..the pin (harness plow side) broke off...

Just a thought you should check...Might not even be the valve..

5. Dirttrackin16

I will check that out later today and also try to get the valve out. I will let you know if I find something. Thanks for the help.

6. twinman326

your welcome..

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

When you tried to pull the valve that wouldnt come out were you able to get the coil off of it?

8. Dirttrackin16

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I was busy with X-mas shopping and checking this plow out. Yes the solenoid came off and this time the valve came right out. I found a peice of old O-ring in the port and the connections at the solenoids seemed a little loose. I tightened those up and put it back together and plowed today for a couple of hours with no problem. I think it's fixed. Thank you and Twinman for all the advice.

9. twinman326

Have a good and safe holidays..Merry Xmas. Glad we all can help..