1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question on short chaining

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Starboyz66FTP, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Starboyz66FTP

Starboyz66FTP Junior Member
    from buffalo

my plow wouldn't raise the other day, western ultramount, it was just a loose connection, bu it got me thinking if i am ever in a situation where my plow breaks down and i am on the road , how are u supposed to lift the plow to be able get slakc to pull the chain to get home, they are taughnt when the plow is down and there is no way to lift a 800lbs blade allone and hold it to move chain????

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

most common item in the truck, and provided by the manufacturer....a sissor jack. Toss is under the A frame and jack it up. or what ive done before is with a come-a-long, hook it to the light headgear and down to the either the A frame or something on the blade like a spring eye-bolt or something. Either way is gonna work.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The method most guy's use if they forgot to carry a jack is to run it up onto a snow pile and then shorten the chain up.Then just back away from the pile. (Gotta have snow to do that though!:D)

4. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

Same here. put the plow in float mode, push the cylinder down all the way by hand(gonna take a little force,) then drive her up a snow bank or driveway and re-chain her...

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Also, if by some weird chance that there's not a snow bank around anywhere near, you can either run the plow up into a raised driveway approach, or back the truck into a driveway approach that goes uphill. Just before the plow starts to follow up the hill, reset the chain. In a pinch, you can just put the rear tires up on a curb, also. This will give you atleast a little bit of lift until you can find a higher ground to run the plow up on. :)

6. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I used the jack that came with the truck.

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Yep
    that's what we always did.

8. Did the snowpile trick about 4 years ago with the old meyer E-47 when the electric motor took a crap.....That was back in the day when we actually had SNOW PILES!!!!!!!!!! And they were big ones none the less......Good thing I was 99% done when it broke, hard to finish up with it stuck down.......:dizzy: