1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on shoes

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by flashinglight, Nov 28, 2007.

1. flashinglight

flashinglight Junior Member
    from maine

Just a question on running shoes on a 1/8-1/4 mile gravel driveway? I have asked many people and the results are split? What do you guys think? I would like to squeeze every cent out of my cutting edge! I have a MM 8' strait blade

2. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

Real men don't wear shoes.....

I have never run them. You can't get a clean scrape with them, and they dig just as bad when the ground is soft. Of course, if you never plow hot top, maybe they make sense......
  3. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

I can't see a reason to run shoes. I always thought plow shoes are for kids plows.
    but i will say my plow shoes make great paper weight.
  4. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I want to make my cutting edge and new base angle last as long as possible also so I will be using shoes this year. I didn't spend 500 bennies on a new base angle to grind it away on pavement, Asphalt, "hottop"..etc. I will start with my shoes 1/4" off the ground and then when the edge wears that 1/4", everything will wear together and the cutting edge will still scrape...Those big round wear plates will greatly prolong the life of the edge...:drinkup:
  5. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Flashing Light,

My dad's driveway is gravel and he plows with shoe's on his plow. His only reason for plowing with them on is that he doesn't have rake all of the gravel off of the grass in the spring. I have shoes for my Fisher and only use them when I plow roads on ice (in MN) so my blade doesn't trip with every little ice heave I drive over.
  6. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

I plow a dirt road and a couple stone driveways and I find that it is a lot smoother when I am doing the dirt road. It does the same job, just less vibrations and everything. When I do the pavement accounts tho I take them off. They leave way too much behind when you are using them on pavement. I think that they are helpful when you are doing dirt roads, etc.
  7. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

i throw them in the lake. attached to a rope. attached to a 12' boat that im fishing from. :) a cutting edge is like a hundred bucks. same cutting edge for the last 5 years. granted i dont plow millions of miles like a lot of guys, but if i have to spend a hundred bucks on a cutting edge every 5-6 years, im content.