1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on plow mounting and hook ups

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rdv350, Aug 8, 2007.

1. rdv350

rdv350 Junior Member

I am looking to buy a used plow for my truck which is '01 F350 diesel. I haven't really decided on which brand I am going with, but Fisher and Western are my two top choices right now. I have a question on how newer plows hook up to the truck and operate. The last plow truck I had was '75 Dodge with a factory plow set, where the hydraulic pump was mounted to the engine. Do newer plows still have pumps which have to be attached to the engine or is everything external or outside the truck on the plow frame? Can someone brief me on how newer plows operate?

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher & Western are both great plows, though I'm partial to Fisher. Newer systems generally have the components outside the engine compartment attached to the plowframe somehow. Fisher's whole plow setup comes off (and I believe Western does too) and only has 3 plugs to connect after the 2 pins that hold the whole thing to the truck. Mounts have come a long way, and I think you'd be very pleased with a Fisher. Good luck

3. pyropierce

pyropierce Junior Member

I have a new Western with the Ultra-Mount. Let me tell you this is a kick a$$ mount. On in less than 2 minutes and the same taking it off. The pump is out side and its all attached so when you take the plow off you don't have a ugly pump still attached to the front of your truck like alot of the Meyer plows. When the plow is off your truck looks factory. Go to Westerns wed site and watch the video for the Ultra-Mount. You will be happy with it.:bluebounc
  4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

i am kind of partial to my boss i can have it hooked up in 30 second to a minute two pins to release,two plugs to plug in raise, the stand and away we go ! no pins or clips to loose.