1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on plow chain

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Dodgesnofiter, Dec 28, 2015.

1. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

The other 3 threads didn't answer this?
  2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Just use a grade 8 bolt, and a lock nut, run chain the bolt. Your are going to need to remove the top hose, and put a breather on the cylinder for it to work. Just my opinion.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

use a bolt use a clevis,

I don't see a need to remove the "top" hose or any hose.
    float or power down all have the same effect with a slack chain.
  4. Thank you for comment. I see the above comment and don't mean to be an idiot, just bored with no snow. Appreciate your advise.
  5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Not 100% sure on the hose. Been thinking on it as that setup is a little different. You are getting snow today?
  6. So far just sleet. May not need the truck this year. Thanks for comment.
  7. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You should NOT be changing it to a chain. You can't downpressure through a chain. You should figure out how the hydraulics work on that thing and fix them.
  8. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I just noticed that the three point hitch link isn't attached to the top of the plow like I first thought. It's just resting there, right?
    You say the previous owner said it has float. Ask him how to make it float. I agree, it shouldn't need a chain to make it float. Tractor loaders can be set to float and they don't have chains. It's a matter of how the hydraulics are set up.
    My advice is put the plow on the truck and see what lever controls what. It shouldn't be hard to figure out.
    A word of caution, we plow Town roads with loaded ten wheelers and pushing hard drifts with the wing will occasionally push th truck sideways. I would thing that truck would be more vulnerable to bouncing off hard banks.
  9. Yes in that picture I just had the hitch resting as the plow was off the truck. I have since put a chain on but keep the three point hitch rod in the cab of the truck in case I need to scrap ice or down pressure. Luckily the plow weighs a lot so it can back drag well even with chain. I was able to get familiar with the hydraulics it is just like driving a bulldozer.