1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on Mounting Boss to 06 Chevy

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DieselDan172, Feb 2, 2009.

1. DieselDan172

DieselDan172 Member
    from Mass.

I am getting ready to buy a used 8'2 V w/ mounts that fit my truck. My local dealer figured it would take about 8 hrs @ $68 labor rate to install. does that seem about right?

Also, i noticed that with the boss you don't need to remove the tow hooks. I have a Brush Guard on the front of my truck right now, would I be able to leave the brush guard mount on so I can re attach the guard for the summer months?

2. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Hi Dan,
    Not sure about your brush guard & mounts as we cannot view any photos of your truck.
    The BOSS plow undercarriage mounts to GM trucks the easiest and our local dealers charge between $450 and $550 for a complete install on your style truck without having to deal with any brush guard options. All in all, not a price out of line with average.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Brush guard will have to come off...period. It won't clear the lift tower as there's less than 2" between the bumper and the lift tower with the plow attached.

I hope that 8 hrs also includes dinner and a movie. Shouldn't take more than 4 hours at the absolute maximum. Pre '08 GM's are one of the easiest Boss installs by far.
  4. DieselDan172

DieselDan172 Member
    from Mass.

Thanks for the replys.
    I was looking at the brush guard mount this morning & it dosn't protrude out at all so thats good.
  5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Why not install it yourself? It's not that hard.
  6. DieselDan172

DieselDan172 Member
    from Mass.

I don't have a heated garage, & im not much of a mechanic.
  7. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I did mine (Super Duty straight blade on '06 Chevy) myself in the driveway with another guy helping. It took 7 hours and that included taking it off the other guy's truck. A knowledgable tech at a dealer with all the tools right there should be able to do it WAY faster than me! If you are buying the plow from the dealer, I'd ask for a better price. If you are buying it privately and just want him to install it, he's padding his profit margin for a reason.
  8. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

It took me and my father-in-law about 7-8 hours to put mine 7'6" straight blade on my 2005 Chevy. I had never done it before and had a few glitches....but all in all pretty simple.

An experienced Boss installer should do it in about 4 hours, I would say. The dealer in my area wanted about 400-500 dollars to install and that is why I did it myself.
  9. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

If the brush guard mounts attach outside the tow hook bolts, you won't be able to leave them on because the Boss mounts use those holes. All 3 bolts for the tow hooks get replaced with slightly longer bolts for the Boss mounts.
  10. Stalkker66

Stalkker66 Junior Member

i agree with you guys. i installed mine on my 05 2500hd and it was easy. took me about 6 hours and that included loosing the middle bolt through the cross member and fishing it out plus trimming my plastic brush pan under the front diff rather then just throwing away like the dealers do. also had some beers too so if i can in 6 hours anyone can faster without the issues. and yes, the install is easy. 2 plates, 1 cross bar, 1 push plate and 15 bolts......
  11. DieselDan172

DieselDan172 Member
    from Mass.

Thanks for the replys. I bought the plow last night. talked to the guy who does the install today & he figured 5-6 hrs. Hes gonna do it Friday. Hopefully Everything goes well.
  12. DieselDan172

DieselDan172 Member
    from Mass.

Plow install went great. They were able to keep the brush guard mounts.
    Heres a couple Pics.

Plow Pic 1.jpg

Plow Pic 2.jpg
  13. Stalkker66

Stalkker66 Junior Member

Thats a nice looking CHEVY you got there. Nice v-Plow too.
  14. redstroker_2002

redstroker_2002 Member

looks good.. how long did it take them?
  15. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

youll love plowing with it. Now just crank up the torsion bars about 5-6 turns and trow about 500 lbs in the bed and you will be unstoppable. PERIODwesport