1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on Model 26

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by sjonesextreme, Oct 11, 2005.

1. sjonesextreme

sjonesextreme Junior Member

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and have a question.
    I've been plowing my driveway with a Jeep for a number of years and decided it was time to replace the old gal with a new unit. I purchased a 2005 Avalanche without the body hardware (WBH) and had a SnoWay 26 unit installed. I'm a bit frustrated http://www.plowsite.com/images/smilies/mad.gif
    :mad:in that the plow smashes into the fascia extensively and sometimes causes the handles for the top pins to pre-release making it difficult to mount.

The SnoWay rep. indicated that I'm just going to have to trim off additional fascia (perhaps most of the front center section). I am not okay with this as it will leave the truck pretty scarred when not in use.

Do any of you have any experience with this? I was told that the 26 was a cleaner install than the older MT model. My Avalanche has a Silverado front end, and I'm surprised at the amount of fascia that has to be removed for the plow to mount correctly.

Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.http://www.plowsite.com/images/smilies/hi.gif

SnoWayProblem 003-1.jpg
  2. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

That just looks wrong IMO. Good Luck, I'm sure someone will be along to help.
  3. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I have a 2003 F150 that I got this summer and I had MT29 poly 7.6ft with down-pressure, and wireless remote put on last month, The tow rings, and splash gard had to be removed, but that is it I do not have any probls, I would take it to another Sonw-Way install dealer.
  4. sjonesextreme

sjonesextreme Junior Member

Thanks Ryder and BigPITA,

I'm taking it back to the dealer that installed it. Hopefully we can come up with a solution. If not, I'm going to return the entire unit.

It's my understanding that the plow should go on and off pretty easily. With the handles hitting the fascia, they sometimes pre-release making it a difficult and timely process to put the plow on the truck. NOT COOL.

It's also my understanding that this is a Silverado front end. Does anyone have a Silverado with a 26 on it? Have you had a similar experience?

Thanks again.:waving:
  5. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I looked up your truck on Snow-Way's web site, And it does say that it may need major modifacation to facia.:cry:
  6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Well if you end up returning the sno-way... lookinto a Western plow... their new mounts are prett clean with out any trimming of the facia on GM trucks. They have donw a pretty good job getting the mounts to work with out any body mods. Also with the western ultra mount system, when the recievers are removed you can hardly tell the truck has plow mounts.

As fro the Sno-wat... from their web sight...

7. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

I have an mt-90 on a 2000 silverado and they had to cut the dam to get it to work. I was going to take the dam off instead of cutting it but it has the fog lights in it and somehow they talked me into leaving it on. It looks like s**t but its such a good plow that I'm glad I have it. I usually just walk around the back and avoid the front even though it's hardly noticable. Its cut and pushed back out of the way and not a problem attaching the blade at all. But looking at yours again after i posted this, your mount is different, looks like you'd have to cut a lot out to get it to work. Maybe you oughta think about taking the dam off.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  8. perfectstripes

perfectstripes Junior Member

My buddy put a (I think a 26 series)7'6 on his 2500HD and the dealer "HACKED!!":eek: his airdam to go around the bracket. When I first saw it I shrieked at the butchering they did. I could not believe how much they cut out. I went to the dealer and in the midst of a conversation I asked him about the install they did on my buddy's truck. The dealer told me "You have to cut it out or the airdam will rub the bracket."
    Hmmm... Would I rather have an airdam rubbing the bracket or have it hacked into pieces?:nono:
    So I happened to be talking to one of my customers and he mentioned to me his Son-In-Law was a snowplow dealer about 1/2 an hour away. So I looked up on the internet and imagine that, he's a SnoWay dealer. (What are the odds?) I called him up and he almost refused to sell me a SnoWay plow. He kept trying to :gunsfiring: force a Blizzard onto me. Said SnoWay is horrible to deal with on warranty and all their parts are expensive. So I decided to install it myself. But what this other dealer told me was, "You dont need to cut the airdam for a SnoWay, at least he never had."
    When I was putting the brackets on he was right (and so was the first dealer) I didnt need to cut the airdam to fit the bracket but it does rub. But it looks WAAAY better than cutting it out to go around the bracket. If I were to sell the truck down the road or decide to take the plow off I'd rather have a couple of small wear marks than a gaping hole cut out or have to buy a new airdam.
    Needless to say, no matter what, every dealer is going to differ in opinion some way or another about mounting methods. You might want to exchange your plow in on a different model that might not require as much cutting on your airdam or go with another brand.
  9. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

I have two 29 series on Fords as you can see below... I love the Snoway plows themselves, but my only negative and it drives me nuts is how low the mount on the truck hangs.... I've raised mine as high as possible without screwing up the angle of the plow.

Try moving the center bar down a hole on either side.... If the 26 series is like the 29 series, there are many holes on either side to raise or lower the center bar.

Godd luck!
  10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

A blizzard. I've seen to many being rebuilt year after year. There are only two plows I see as work horses; Sno-way and boss. I've got a sno-way since '97 and have only had to replace 2 pictons this year. Never failed me and I do town home communities, streets, large industrial lots.
  11. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know how the mount work on the new trucks, but I would suggest the same as CTerrySGD. On my 25 series subframe the mount can be lowered, which would help with your clearance, but it gets closer to the road. Hopefully your dealer can remedy the problem without too much trouble.