1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question on make suspension stronger

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by donny boy, Jan 6, 2004.

1. donny boy

donny boy Junior Member

I drive a 2001 superduty crew cab.... I was wondering if anyone is having problems with there super duty's front suspension weakening, I mean i have noticed that the height of the front end has lowered about 2 inches after plowing 2 months...... I have seen leaf-spring kits, but not sure if i want to do it before asking u guys first... I always like to go on here before doing anything because i like to hear from people with the same problems...... i would like get a lift kit but i don't think that my plow would be able to hook up to my truck..... I am just wondering, please help me!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  2. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

Nice truck! You can get a set of timbren hollw rubber springs up front to help control the sag a little.The newer trucks are strong but the leafs are still made soft to have a sorta decent ride.In my opinion i would install a set of air bags in the front.Or just get the leaf spring lift for it.There are many guys around me running 9 foot fishers on f-350's lifted 4 inches and still plow fine.

3. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I'll tell you about my experience with timbrens. I just traded in a 03 F-150 on a 04 F250. The 150 had the timbrens. With the same plow I'm sure the 250 drops considerably more when I pick up the plow. Also the new truck has the plow prep and the 150 didn't. I credit the timbrens. And the ride stays the same.

4. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Timbrens![​IMG]

5. donny boy

donny boy Junior Member

Does anyone have a link, where I can look for timbrens

6. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Look for a local truck equipment outfitter or a spring/suspension shop. See http://www.timbren.com/ for more info on the product.

We've used them for years and are very happy with them.

7. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Does your truck have the plow prep package? 5.4L? Just wondering if I can expect my front end to soften up. I wouldn't mind a little bit, it seems a little high in front now and the ride is real stiff. I have the standard cab and 5.4 so my front end is lighter than yours with the extended cab I imagine.

8. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Mine is an F350 PSD. Plow prep and all the trimmings. Took delivery last year and plowed with the top secret Snoway plow with a ploy edge all winter with no troubles, sags, or grouses.

Put a little weight in it and the ride sweetens up....some. Put a lid on the coffee.

9. METCO

METCO Junior Member

I have a 02 F350 crewcab PSD auto with a 9' royal sport utility body and tried the Timbrens was not satisfied with them, just installed Air Bags on it what a difference in ride and handling,I also put a 8.5 Fisher EZV on it can not wait to try them out, the best $200 I have spent in a while easy to install

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Nice ride!:cool:
    Timbrens is the way to go.

11. donny boy

donny boy Junior Member

Well I don't have the plow prep package, but it is the 250 with the 6.8L..... I was thinking about beefing up the suspension but I don't want to void the warranty... I still have the original factory warranty, then the new one will start up after that...... I am just seeing what I can do without voiding warranty.... Thanx guys for all the advise..... Well gotta go, time to do sum clean-ups....

12. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

Well gang, I just got done putting Timbrens on my 2001 F-150 7700 truck. All in all, these were much easier to install than the ones on my Chevy. HOWEVER, they don't tell you that you need an 8 allen wrench to install. Luckily my neighbor's tool supply is greater than mine (at home anyway). I took pictures of before and after with the plow raised. If there is any difference at all, it is less than 1/2". It could be a variance in not being in the exact same spot. I drove around the block though, and could tell all the difference in the world. So, my advice, from someone who just installed his second pair (the ones on my Chevy don't even make contact with the plow raised, because I cranked on the torsion bars a few years before installing the Timbrens). I need to place some spacers above the rubber spring to give it a gap and it will do its job. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Go With Timbrens! They will make you very -----> :)

13. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Timbrens are definitely the way to go, here are a couple of pic's with plow raise up and lowered down, can't hardly see a difference.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

lowered

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  15. donny boy

donny boy Junior Member

:drinkup: I want to thank all of u that helped me with my problem.. I had timbrens put on my truck today and I have noticed a massive difference... Its kinda funny that the dealer I went to told me that the original bumpers were only an inch or two long... the aftermarket ones that were put on are atleast 6 inches long....... And to anyone that has a problem with there truck dipping when they lift the plow with or without snow on it, I would definitely suggest on getting timbrens..... My plow frame clearance was about 3inches before.. now its almost 7 inches off the ground..... AGAIN THANX A TON TO ALL THAT HELPED ME.. I APPRECIATE IT ALOT.....

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  16. marylandplow

marylandplow Junior Member

front suspension

I have a 99 F-250SD V-10. I found out there was a problem when I went to the Boss web sit to select a plow and found that a 7'6" SD blade was two heavy for my truck I asked my mechanic What the problem was.he My buddy that is a certified ford mechanic. Told me this. The v-10 & the diesel weigh considerably more than the V-8. If you put that amount of weight on that truck it will take a toll in time on the front springs. He recommended that we install an additional leaf on each side in the front. it only raised the front end about 1-1/2" with the plow on the truck it sit's almost exactly where it did B4 the springs. Any additional help you need let me know I can put you in touch with my mechanic. Unfortunately he is in Virginia but at least he can give you all the spec of what you need to do.