1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question on liquid materials

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nor'easter1, Nov 1, 2008.

1. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

i have read alot of these posts on liquid deicers. My question would be if you loaded up a 1.5 yard hopper with dry straight salt, then wet it with some of the various products out there would that lead to the risk of the entire hopper freezing up if you did not use it in one shot, or would it keep the load hot for a while. There is nothing worse than a freeze up. Thank god my poly caster seems to stay warmer than the stainless sanders

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

it's actually the other way around :dizzy:

the chloride will keep it from freezing.....as long as you don't use sodium chloride.

if you are going to try to prevent freeze-up's i would deffanatly use mag or calcium chloride. it will lower the freeze temp drasticly......

take 32% calcium..........it has a freeze temp of -65* but if it get's colder than -65* there is nothing short of a fire that will melt the ice lol

i have had great result's of melting a frozen hopper with calcium, and even melting the bin with liquid calcium, last year we didnt blend it when we loaded the bin and we had frozen salt,.....so we would spray the outside of the pile and stir it with the loader as we dug deeper and deeper in the pile.

i have also sprayed V-boxes and truck's with calcium to melt the frozen salt and have had great result's.

but one thing to keep in mind is, salt is not corrosive 'till it has moisture. so if you put calcium on top of rock salt :eek: you defanatly need to FluidFilm everything that it touches lol

hope this helps

PJ

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. blmland

blmland Junior Member

Use 23.3% Calcium Chloride at 4 gallons per ton. You can treat your sand, too. It will cut your rates by 1/3 and lower your melting temperature.

4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

huh :rolleyes:

you may wanna mix it a lil stonger with chem that week lol

PJ

5. blmland

blmland Junior Member

Sorry, I meant NaCl (sodium chloride) concentrated to 23.3%. Calcium Chloride is 30%. Magnesium is 27-30%.