1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on Lift Valve on 24d Series

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by brianbora1, Feb 15, 2008.

1. brianbora1

brianbora1 Member

I am having problems with my lift valve sticking. Called the dealer and he stated $300+. My question is will any "other company" lift valve work. Any info will greatly be appreciated. Getting tired of this fenner system. Thanks, Brian:yow!:

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

How old and what type of fluid is in the system? How long since the system has been flushed and filled with new oil? Do you have any manuals for the plow?

Here is a link to the repair manual for the Fenner hydraulic unit.

http://www.snoway.com/service/Fenner Repair/97100036A.pdf

3. brianbora1

brianbora1 Member

Thanks, I have taken fluid cover off prior to season and cleaned every area that needed cleaned. Added new fluid (SAM) bought at local tractor supply store. I have looked manual and it is limited. I would like to know if there is a way to adjust this valve after you take apart? Again, thanks for any reply!

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Did you flush the system of all oil in it including the cylinder rams before filling?

Mixing fluids is never a good idea and will cause fluids to gel. The valve itself is not adjustable and not made to be taken apart other than replaceable o-rings.

5. brianbora1

brianbora1 Member

I have been using the same fluid for the last ten years. I am not sure if this is called the cartridge valve(lift/lower). It is the one facing the plow at the front of the motor, one black wire going to the coil. It does have o-rings and also it has at the end where it screws in a spring pressure part that unscrews from the whole unit. I have tried to press the inner part down a little and it was stuck. I tapped it a few times and it became unstuck. This unit will unscrew and that is where the needle and spring and a little black circular (spacer), that fits over the needle is. I thought by taken this apart I would be able to clean it better so that it would not stick. No luck.......Any suggestions? Sorry for such a long reply.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You could try flushing the unit with Meyer hydra flush. It cleans and lubes, also use a higher quality Snowplow fluid, the Buyers/Sam fluid does not seem to have the same lubricants and anti-corrosion additives of the better fluids use Meyer fuild if SW fluid isn't available.

Is the barrel swollen or bent? cleaning and lubricating is not going to solve a hanging plunger. It's possible that you are going to have to replace the valve. you should be able to use your coil.

You're having reliability problems with a Fenner?:confused:

7. brianbora1

brianbora1 Member

Is this valve the same as other brands, because they look the same. But the prices are crazy from what I was told from a sno-way dealer. I really want to get this thing working right. Thanks, Brian! The fenner motor/pump works great but why this valve? I bought a whole other motor/pump set up from a guy on e-bay and that motor lasted about 2-3 plows. I only bought it so that I could have extra parts for mine, since the valve on that one started sticking. I only plow about 5-8 drives and mostly are family. Not much money making here. Does $300 sound like I was given the right price for the right part, or could the dealer mistaken what i was asking for? Thanks guys, I knew I could get the help I needed from Toby4492 & Basher. Basher i am still interested in the set up we have talked about. Just waiting to get some money and for the plow to work again. Take care. Brian

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

960001553 it's the entire assembly

9. brianbora1

brianbora1 Member

Price? was it right? also answer about other valves from other makers working? Has anyone ever had this valve apart? If so speak up, or am I the only stupid one that took it apart! Thanks again!