1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on hydrolic fluid?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kennyrain, Dec 7, 2007.

1. kennyrain

kennyrain Member

Can I use regular hydrolic oil that you can pickup(by the gallon-CHEAP) at Lowe's,
    in a western plow? The western fluid around here is about $ 12 a quart. Is this the same stuff or is it too thick? It would be nice to save a little $$$ if I can.
  2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Use atf fluid.
  3. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Once you use ATF, stay with ATF. I heard it's bad to mix and match a little of this with a little of that. Makes sense to me!
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

ATF is o.k. to use in a pinch.....

Drain your system of the ATF.
    It's easy to do and you should do it every year anyway.

Atf has paraffin it it.
    At low temps the wax will clog your filter and make your plow sluggish and it will draw more amps.

Use a good hydraulic fluid with an AW rating like the blue stuff, boss meyers and a few others make a quality fluid too..

Yes I too have used atf and it will work o.k but a good quality hydraulic fluid is the best.

Is your plow an old transmission? so why use atf..
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

pound wise penny foolish

save a buck a quart on oil loose a lot of cash in the long run when it breaks down with froze up pumps and missed account's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:realmad:
  6. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

can you say transmission fluidly? iv yet to see a TRANS FREEZE UP YET
  7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

transmission fluid is warmed/cooled, tempered by the cooler that is inside your radiator;)
    Your plows fluid is not..

and yes in cold weather your tranys that still use atf will be sluggish and whine until it is warmed up.
    Plus the filter in your tranny is many times larger than your filter for your plow.
    Your tranny generates heat.
    your plow pump does not., well not much anyway..
  8. Shorty

Shorty Junior Member
    from 14423

Gravel Driveways - Pain?

The other day I had to turn down a job because of the gravel
    driveway. I was wondering if anyone found an easier way to
    do gravel driveways. I tried leaving my blade up a couple of
    inches, but the driveway looks awful when I'm done. Any
    advice would be greatly appreciated.
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:try a different thread..:dizzy:
    maybe the one that is about plowing gravel?
    This one is about hydraulic fluid.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  10. timberjack

timberjack Member

Ken, How old is your plow?

I've tried atf once, castrol's synthetic atf in fact, in my last plow, a 1997 unimount, one winter. It was ok, until we got to the point in the winter that the temp was -20 fahrenheit. Then the plow was noticibly slower, and the pump made some screeching noises i didn't care for. I drained it all out, and replaced it with the Western hi-perf fluid asap. No problems after that. If you've got no chance of needing your plow to work in severe cold, then atf will probably be your most inexpensive choice, otherwise i'd spring for the Western stuff.

on edit:
    Did a little search on google, i found some hi-perf hydraulic fluid online for just under $7 per quart. It can be found cheaper than your local dealer, so have a look around if you have the time. Did you try asking if that was the lowest price they'd sell for? A lot of times i've gotten some pretty good discounts for nothing more than asking. Most retailers have several tiers of pricing, and if you don't balk, you'll always get the highest price quoted.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2007