1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question on heavy equipment on roads

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sledneck24x, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sledneck24x

sledneck24x Senior Member

I am not completly new to the snow removal industry, but I am small. So I thought this is where I should ask. I am from wisconsin and I was wondering what are the laws for driving heavy equipment down the road for snow removal such as back hoes, loaders, etc. do you need special licenses or special permits. I know this is probably controlled by local ordinances or it goes by state.
  2. siewertenterpri

siewertenterpri Junior Member

In wisconsin we dont need permits or licenses. Just have to watch your width and you need a slow moving vehicle sign and warning lights.
  3. sledneck24x

Thanks I always wondering. Locally everybody runs around town with their loaders even when they plow thier own house. and I always wanted to know if i were to buy a loader if I needed to get certified first or not.
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

In NY we have to register our loaders if going down the road, I only register 1, which drives all over the other two are pretty much site dedicated, I do drive them to site & won't hesitate to rake my chances if we need them elsewhere. Your are supposed to get an overwidth snowplow permit as well, additional $ 250/year, I haven't gotten one yet in four years, the ticket is $ 250 (we got one for a pick up plow with wings) so if we get one it is a wash.
  5. sledneck24x

what is the max width on a plow?
  6. siewertenterpri

Just need a regular drivers license and i beleive you can be as young as 12 years old to drive farm machinery down roads. Im glad we dont need width permits that could get a little spendy.
  7. siewertenterpri

I think max width is 8 feet for anything on the road for trucks and trailers but machinery is diffrent. During snow events there not to worried just as long as your not affecting on coming traffic. I have friends and family that have large loaders and combines that will take up a full 2 lane road and they havent been stoped.
  8. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I just run'm down the road. Tried to apply for over width permit on a loader this year.... They didn't have a way to process it in WI... Locals acted like I should get OW permit, states said they'd love to collect a fee, but the computer couldn't process the information for a loader or tractor.
  9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

8'-6" is max, we were 9'-2", only went 1/2mile down the road because low fuel light came on. I'm convinced they were trying to get us over weight as it was on a 2500hd, with a v box in the back, surprise spreader was empty (thank god), that ticket is $1/ pound over reg weight (9200 I always reg for max gvw). As for others comparisons to farm equipment you unfortunately can't compare the two ag (farm equipment, & farm trucks) is exempt from most dot regulations for instance in NY they don't need a CDL if within 25 miles (i belive thats the distance) of their farm, etc. I understand exactly what people are comparing (huge equipment), I live in an area of farms (large), neighbors do 4500 acres.
  10. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that once a snow emergency was declared, you could roll anything on the road to get the job done.. Don't know this as fact, just what I heard.
  11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I dont know about the snow emergency thing. They rarely if ever declare snow emergencies inmmy area, we get 100"'a year, except this year. People are used to it.
  12. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I was never hassled when I had my loader with plow(15'). I always had it angled off with the hazards or strobe on and make sure you have the slow moving sign/triangle on. I also was not usually on the road in the middle of heavy use times.
  13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Probably not true but what cop is going to hassle a loader operator during or after a storm unless he was doing something really stupid or dangerous?Sort of in the same grain as when I joke[maybe] that my overweight permit starts at sunset.
  14. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

i don't know about the ordinance thing. i guess it depends on where you are and how much snow a winter you get.

here all you ever see is pick up trucks with snow plows. the large mall parking lots are done with front loaders that usually sit in the parking lot all winter. once in a blue moon you might see a front loader driving from one lot to another but not often.

i was under the impression that once a snow emergency was declared no one i suppose to be on the road except city/state plows and emergency vehicles.

we rarely get a snow emergency in my neck of the woods and chances of being arrested if your out plowing are probably pretty slim but the only people that are suppose to be out is emergency vehicles and city/county/state plows.