1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on fixing up my old plow.

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Brian Ski, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Brian Ski

Brian Ski Junior Member

I have a Fisher 8' that I have used for close to 30 years. Giving it the once over and everything is caught up except the plow itself. I have a few dozen small holes in the plow. (sheet metal). 1/4' to 3/8" maybe a couple 1/2". Most are in the snow foil. Without resheating the front of the plow, what is a good way to fix it?? I thought it was just a couple holes, but noticing a few more.

I am thinking:
    Paint it and leave them.
    Cover holes with a good strength tape and paint over.
    Patch with metal. A lot of small holes to mess with...
    Body filler??
  2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Might be able to weld the holes if they're small enough. After 30 years though I'd say you're due for an upgrade but thats just my .02
  3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have a friend who resheeted an old Meyer with poly, just bolted it under the cutting edge and a piece of angle iron on top. It was cheap and easy, minimal handy man skills.
  4. Brian Ski

Brian Ski Junior Member

Well, I will let you talk to the wife about that.... ;)

Bought it is 88, so I think I got my moneys worth out of it. Best thing I can say is it does deserve a coat of paint...
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Is it the wife's plow?
  6. Brian Ski

Brian Ski Junior Member

No, but she is next on the list for the kitchen cabinets. She thinks I have enough toys. :nono:
  7. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Brian Ski -- Domestic bliss and tranquility is no small thing.
  8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing wrong with older plows. Mine is going on 37 years. Circa 1979 Diamond. Refurbed it once when I did the conversion to MM1. It also had some very very small pin holes. I just welded them up. The mold boards on these are a lot thicker way back when. The best way to properly fill those holes are to get the rotted holes round by using a small hole saw and cut it out. This gets you to fresh metal and then make a slug of the same thickness and proper diameter as the hole you made and weld it flush. Grind smooth and sand both sides and you are good to go. I use an different size annular cutters to make my slugs.
  9. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Leave the holes in it. Paint it, sell it under the description "reconditioned". It's worked for others on here.
  10. Brian Ski

Brian Ski Junior Member

Well I ended up doing a JB weld. Came out pretty well. A friend gave me a can of Meyer plow paint. There wasn't much of it left. I read a thread about using safety yellow. WOW that is not even close. Meyer plow paint is about $45 a qt plus shipping. Maybe will see if I can match it locally.
  11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Good luck with that.....
  12. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

My first thought was "that's gonna pop out."
    I don't know how JB weld works but my guess is it won't flex like the steel does and will just crack off???
  13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

exactly...I was just trying to be positive,
    use a hot glue gun, that cold glue will never hold....

hot glue gun= welder;)
  14. Brian Ski

Brian Ski Junior Member

These hole are not large, mostly pock marks. Will see what they do. Can't be any worse than what was there. Was thinking about painting over the holes anyhow. Not that they were nickel size.
  15. olscout99

olscout99 Junior Member

I'm into this late, but they make poly covers that slip behind the cutting edge and that screw and silicone to the metal plow blade. Paint the snot out of the metal blade with Rustoleum to keep it from rusting, and buy one of the poly covers and cover up the rust holes. It'll keep the snow from sticking too.
  16. Brian Ski

Brian Ski Junior Member

Better late than never. I got it taken care of. Almost all of the holes were in the snow foil. Mostly pitted rust. Sandblasting cleaned the plow and brought out the imperfections. JB took care of them. If a couple pop loose, that's fine, it is not like they are fist size holes.

I tried the safety yellow paint. Eh looked bright yellow. Pretty bad to me. I took the lid off of an old can of Meyers plow paint. (When I found Meyers paint it was $45 a qt plus shipping ouch!) I took it down to Sherwin Williams. $22 a can for oil base tinted to match. I went in for a second can it it was on sale. $15? I got at least 4 good coats on it and it looks great. All ready to roll.

Supposed to be 60s this weekend. So no snow yet.

BTW Mill Creek?? Not to far away. I am towards Crumstown.
  17. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have heard of this....can't remember where!
  18. olscout99

olscout99 Junior Member

19. olscout99

olscout99 Junior Member

I'm at the West end of Johnson Rd., run Johnson Rd. and Crumstown Hwy. into South Bend most every day.