1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question On E47 Meyers Pump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cm82pa, Mar 7, 2005.

1. cm82pa

cm82pa Junior Member

My question is that on the E47 pumps what controls the "float".(adjustment) I understand that Meyers are gravity down. But when I lower my plow, it hits the ground and the pump stays at that point. I was waiting for my buddy to finish a parking lot the other day and realized that even after his plow hit the ground that the pump lowered a little more to create slack in the chain. I plow driveways that sit about a foot higher than the road. All of the driveways are short and wide so backdragging is the only way to clean them. I noticed that my plow would ride up on to the snow when my back wheels hit the road. I thought at first that the plow wasn't heavy enough. so I added weights. But that didn't help. If anyone can give me advice on this I would appreciate it. Snow may be coming later in the week so I would like to figure out what is going on. Thanks in advance to all who reply.
  2. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

hmmmmmmmm. goood question mine is an e-60 and if you want it to float all the way you have to hold down on the button after it has hit the ground and i have had problems w/ backdragging too. plow doesnt seem heavy enough.
    guess we need to get a snowway or blizzard(go wide) HAHAHAHAHA. try that then tell us what its doing :drinkup:
  3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

It's sounds like maybe you could use a new cutting edge. How's yours now? I put a new one on this past month - wow, I forgot what a difference a new cutting edge makes. Sounds like this may help you too.
    If not, try playing around with the link on the lift chain that you hook your plow up to. Sometimes moving this up or down a link can affect performance in the way that you're looking for. Good luck - let us know what happens.
  4. cm82pa

cm82pa Junior Member

I tried to adjust my chain. But where ever I set the chain it doesn't matter. My switches on the other hand, when I push the button/lever down it stays down in the "float postion. My main problem is that when I lower the pump when the plow hits the ground the pump stops and doesn't allow slop in the chain. The cuttin edge is in good shape. My problem I know lies within the pump I just don't how to fix it.
  5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Meyers hyd control

When you let the fluid out of the lift cylinder the 350# + plow pushes down on the lift ram and the fluid exits the cylinder into the reservoir. When you put the E 47 or E 60 in the float position the "A" coil stays energized and all the fluid can be forced into the reservoir. There is no adjustment on the float. Either the "A" valve is open or it is closed.

You can see a free service manual and also down load it off of the Meyer products web site.

6. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I think your pump works right, and your friends is not working right. If you release the hydro fluid is should go down. But why would it go any farther down once the plow hits the ground? There is nothing to pull it down any further. Maybe your friends hydraulic piston needs servicing because apparently his piston is letting fluid by. Just a thought.
  7. cm82pa

cm82pa Junior Member

When I have the plow switch in the down postion should I be able to push the ram down freely and also push the ram up with a little force. Because mine seem that it is to hard to push down. For example if I am plowing and I hit a small ditch, the plow wont drop quick enough to catch the low spot. I thought that the pump should have no pressure on the ram when it is in the down postion.
  8. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

You might want to check the "A" valve. It could be sticky or mal-functioning.
  9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

First what are you using for a controller? touch pad? slik stick? twin sticks?

Touch pad, hold down on the float position till the red light comes on. then the plow should fallow the f\ground by itself.

Slik stick, has a float position, which is the same as the down position but must be brought back to neutral to angle then back to float if you want the plow to continue floating,

twin sticks have a separate up down float switch from the angle switch.

When the plow is down you should be able to compress the ram at least another inch or so causing there to be slop in the chain. Depending on what you need for your plow route as to how much slop, ( 2 to 4 or 5 links)

correct me if I am not on track here.
    when in float position you are saying the plow stops as soon as the blade hits the ground even when there is still some room left for the ram to come down.

Try parking your front wheels on top of a curb to make the front of the truck higher then normal then drop the blade and see if it reaches the ground.

If it reaches the ground there is nothing wrong with the pump.

If it stops before reaching the ground and there is still travel in the ram then something mechanical in the plow hookup may be stopping it or there may be something stuck under the ram in the pump, or possible a bent ram.

Report back here with what happened, or e-mail me with your phone # and I can talk you through the rest.

I do have a cure for the no float when angeling with slik stick but everything else must be working correctly first. I will take some pictures next time I mount a plow if it helps.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2005