1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question on dp

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by BKFC255, Jan 19, 2009.

1. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

When useing the dp on my plow my i hear my pump running and lights flicker when moving the truck. when it is not moving and the dp is on it stops doing it. when i lift the blade with dp on the pump makes a whining sound as soon as i take it off normal sound coming from pump. I did replace a hose this last fall and had to re adjust the dp so it would not thump. seem to be good until about 2 weeks ago. checked for dirt that got dislodged nothing found not sure where to go. it is acting like it needs to build pressure while the truck is moving. any ideas.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does your blade drift down from the raised position?

If the DP is cycling while plowing is a normal thing as it wants to maintain 525lbs of hydraulic pressure. so the Pressure switch kicks the hydraulics in when the truck rises or the plow drops. The DP relief valve relieves the excess pressure if the plow rises or the truck drops.

How old is your plow? you comment that you adjusted the relief to stop excessive cycling, did you use a pressure gage or just tighten until the cycling stopped?

3. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

well my plow came off a 06 150 it was installed new on that truck and i bought it used this summer so I would say fall of 05 or early 06. i just adjusted it until it stoped thumping which was approx 1/4 to a 1/2 turn no more than that no pressure gauge was used.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

does it drift down from the raised position?