1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on difference between mount kits?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by taken, Jan 26, 2012.

1. taken

taken Member

So, I'm going from an 09 Ford F250 to a 12 Ford F350. Going to swap over my 8'6" Extreme V. I did the ematch thing on Fisher's web site. Looks like everything is the same except the mount kit. My 2009 used kit 7183 and the 2012 will need a 7183-1. All other part numbers are the same. Anyone know what the difference is between the two and how much the new 7183-1 is going to cost me?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Normally when they add the "-1" it means the design has been updated. Probably just made the mount stronger. Fisher mounts run in between $400-600 on average.

3. taken

taken Member

Thanks for the info! Is there anyplace online to order it or do I have to go to a local dealer?

4. kimber750

I don't order much online as far as fisher goes but if I was going to order something, I would call Lang's Corner Garage. Just remember you have to pay shipping then. I would try your local dealer, they may even have it there. I am lucky to have a pretty good relationship with my local dealer so they take pretty good care of me.

5. taken

taken Member

Thanks again. I just called and local is a little over $500. Well, I have two months before the new truck is delivered so I'll keep poking around. If I don't find it cheaper the local guy says he always has them in stock.

6. It's none of my business but in looking at the differences from the 7183 and 7183-1 on the exploded view on the Fisher site, it looks like you would only have to drill one hole in the outside flange of your existing pushplates to make them fit. Certainly worth looking into to save $500. The top image is 7183 and the bottom image is 7183-1

fisher 7183.jpg

Fisher 7183 1.jpg

7. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

I notice a slight difference in each push plate in the front upper area that grabs onto the frame, one seems a bit longer than the other and fisher does have different part numbers for the push plates where all the rest of the components have the same part number, I'm wondering if it's a situation like the GM push plates 7161 and 7169 where the change was made to allow for a bumper that protrudes out a few inches more.
    Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550
    7183 model years 2008 to 2010
    7183-1 model years 2008 to present......interesting

GM trucks, 2500 and 3500
    7161 model years 2000 to 2002
    7169 model years 2000 to 2010

I've seen the 7161 on a 2005 3500, it worked but the head gear is about two inches off the front bumper.

8. I'm sticking with my thoughts...especially since the only difference is 7183-1. For $500 its worth a look. If the -1 retro fits the 2008 thru 2012 that means the frame is the same, just a different hole in the truck frame. I have personal experience with the 7161 vs 7169, they are NOT the same and definitely won't fit a 2005 2500HD.

9. kimber750

Agree with you Motorman, believe they just updated the mount to account for the extra hole. Good eye. Thumbs Up

10. taken

taken Member

Thanks guys! The problem is, any dealer I bring it to for the changeover, is going to want to sell me the new mount. I wish I knew how to do it myself. Oh, and I got a reply from an email I sent to Fisher that just said, if I'm going from gas to diesel, I need the different mount. It's not about the year, rather about the motor.

11. buddymanzpop

You've got a couple months before the truck arrives yousaid so you most likely won't be plowing with it until next winter, that gives you a lot of time to find someone that will install the 7183 which will most likely work. By the way you referenced a diesel is the 2012 coming with the diesel.

12. taken

taken Member

Yes, the 2012 is a diesel.

13. John Burne

John Burne Junior Member

Fisher Mount Kits

Hey, I am brand new to this site and am strugling to figure out how to post. I've been reading your thread and maybe tou guys can help. I'm trying to put MM push plates (part # 7126) on a 96 Bronco. They don't seem to fit right. They are close but the channel space between the two gussets on the top is too narrow to receive the frame. Called tech support at Fisher and the guy told me I needed different plates 7126=B. Called my local NAPA Fisher dealer and he tried to order these mounts only to have Fisher tell him they don't make such a part, only the original 7126. Tried to call back tech support and they are go for the weekend. Bronco is still up on my buddy's lift. I don't know if I should modify the ones I've got and wait for a part which may not exist Thanks, John

14. kimber750

Not seeing the 7126 on the their site only 7126B. Here the instructions, maybe they can help. I do know some of their mounts can be tricky to get into place.

http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdf/6430_082598.pdf

15. taken

taken Member

So let me ask everyone this. How hard is this job to do yourself? The mechanical parts seems pretty easy. Unbolt one, bolt on the other. Anything tricky I'm not seeing there? Also, how about the wiring? I used to be very good at car audio so I'm sure I can trace where everything goes. I just wouldn't want to leave anything behind. The best deal I've found locally is $260 for the labor to do the swap. But I have to consider that the shop doing it will want to sell me the new mount, not drill a hole in mine. There's another $465. If anyone's done this, how hard is it?

16. buddymanzpop

There is some original hardware from the 09 that was removed and not re-used during the push plate installation, if you don't have it you will have to get some replacement bolts (not hard). You will have the benefit if seeing how your new truck should be set up by removing the components from your 09, most of the wiring is plug and play, your only splice wires are in your park, turn and DRL(if equipped) circuits. You'll probably have a dedicated power source for your control harness in the cab from Ford (they do that lately), Fisher supplies all the instructions needed on their website.

17. Really, it's not difficult at all. The Fisher harnesses are literally plug and play and since yours is installed in your existing truck you can see how it all looks as you take it out. There are detailed install instructions on Fishers site to lead you step by step. The real question is... are you comfortable/capable of removing the mount from your current truck and installing it on the new one. I wouldn't hesitate to try it and drill the holes but thats really a decision for you to make. Its a $700+ decision.

Read these install instructions for the pushplates and then you will know if you want to do it:

http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdf/42158.01_060110.pdf

18. taken

taken Member

Thanks guys. Will get to reading....

19. buddymanzpop

I don't see where it was said that the 7161 and 7169 were the same, in fact they are different, the point is you can make similars work, here are pictures, the red truck is a 2004 GMC Sierra, complete truck side wiring from a 2000 Silverado 1500, newer 7169 push plates, white truck is a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado, complete truck side wiring and 7161 push plates from a 2001 Silverado 2500, notice the difference in the space between the bumper and the head gear, the owner of the 2005 Silverado plowed all last year with this set up with no issues.

DSC03090.jpg

DSC03088.jpg

DSC03089.jpg

20. taken

taken Member

One thing I've been thinking about is this. If the only difference is one hole, then why continue to make the one without the hole? It would be much less expensive from a manufacturing standpoint to just make it with the extra hole and not make two separate units. According to Fisher, the gas model still calls for the mount without the hole so I am guessing there must something else different.