1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on Contractor tripping

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by turbo38sfi, Oct 10, 2008.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

How does the contractor blade trip if it's got the optional wings attached to it?

Does the blade still trip forward like the traditional method? What happens to the wings?

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

they fold down with the blade just like it did before the wings.... no change in the trip that i saw

3. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

the wings would trip with the blade

4. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

OK, so follow me on my thinking or tell me if I'm wrong on this.

If the blade trips fwd, the outermost edges of the plow wing are going to contact the ground first and dig in, no?

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

snoway wing wearedges maintain the same plane as the moldboard.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

the wings that i have used have rubber cutting edges and bend instead of digging in plus the moldboard has a tendency to rise somewhat as it trips

7. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

what wings do you have on your plow?

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

you lookin at me?

9. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Turbo,

There are 2 different type extension wings that we manufacture for the Megablade models and the 29HDW model.

The 9" extension wing has a 10 degree angle and is designed for windrowing.

The 9" scoop extension wing has a 20 degree angle and is designed for snow capture.

The moldboards are full trip designs and because the extension wings do not have steel edges on them they do not inhibit the moldboards ability to trip.

10. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

no nevermind my bad :confused:

i guess i forgot he was talking about the new snoway wings :dizzy: its friday

also the cutting edge on the snoway wings are poly its not a steel edge so it wont dig into the asphalt

11. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

here is a close up on the wing poly edge

snway-wing.jpg

12. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

That doesn't look all that thick. What's it made of? About 1/2" it looks like?

13. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

i would say its about an inch i believe it is a poly edge and in the center of the poly ther is a nice hard piece of poly... but tom would know more about what it is actually made out of. for i am just a messanger

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Look at this picture http://www.snoway.com/index.cfm/act/megabladeShow/p/Contractor or if your toby4492 the real thing, you see were the poly has been deflecting under load. look at this picture http://www.snoway.com/index.cfm/act/megabladeShow/p/Contractor you see they relieved the bottom of the box wing to allow for tripping (also you can see where the end of the blade is cutting into the rubber mat its sitting on)

If you examine the steel backing on the first picture you see where the steel has been trimmed to match the edges on picture two, allows motion in the poly. Also: the moldboard protrudes forward much further then the wearedge. Look at the moldboard/wing union, the wing lacks the convex edge required to maintain closure though the forward arch at the degree of angle achieved by the face of the wing.

:nod:they sort of pivot on the tips of the wings. act a little like a trip edge in the way they dump a load.

15. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member