1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on Contract Termination

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by BRENTMAN, Oct 10, 2009.

1. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

Lets say you have a $500 seasonal account that has paid the full price at the signing of the contract, but 3/4 of the way through the season you wish to terminate the contract.....how would you go about reimbursing them for the rest of the year that they paid for?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

This is just a guess but you might have to give the whole $500.00 back. Does your contract give you an out or is it simply $500.00 for the season and that's it. What I'm getting at is if the contract said $100.00/month then you could easily determain what is left. Since it says $500.00 for the season, you have to provide service all season or give back the money. Like I said it's a guess, I wonder what would happen in court?

3. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

So what would you recommend putting in my contract about this....I'm basically using a formula for my seasonals... Per Push rate x Avg. plowable events.

I've got a couple ideas floating around in my head about it, but not sure exactly.

Thinking some how state that it is Seasonal Price divided by 6 months? orrrrr maybe not

or that theres a cancellation fee?

any ideas?

4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

politely suggest that the relationship is not a good fit for whatever the reason. Maybe you ould refer them to someone else and suggest a pro-rata refund... ask the client what they think is fair. They just might be reasonable people.

5. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

Seasonal Contract Termination:
    Canceled during Nov and Dec its 50% refund
    Canceled during Jan and Feb its 30% refund
    Canceled during Mar and Apr its 5% refund

Maybe something like that would work?

6. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

I'm just touching up my contract and thinking ahead just incase I were to be in this situation....It basically states so far that they can cancel with an advanced written notice but anything paid to me previously I keep, but I also state that I can cancel at any time as well, and I dont want people to fear giving me $500 and then me cancelling a month later, and not stating anything about refunding $500 that they paid for one lousy month of plowing....

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Something along those lines would be good IMO. Might want to talk to a lawyer to firm it up. It will cost you a little but maybe save you a lot.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If they quite ,nothing! You could give them back 1/3 if you canceled them.

9. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

If I were you I would word your residential contracts from your perspective. Along the lines of grandviews comment would be right......if you are doing what is expected of you and the customer cancels they do not get a refund. If you cancel for any reason a prorated refund would be in order.

10. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

yes I agree that if THEY cancel, there is no refund.

I'm leaning toward that formula I posted....how do you guys think about that?
    Again, if it really came down to it, I'd stick it out as much as I could before I cracked, so I dont think the chances of me facing this situation and losing much (if any) money is likely...

11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

good advice, roll with it.

12. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

I have yet to find a residential that will do anyhting other than per push. I put that either party may cancel at anytime without penalty. If / when I get one, i will probably do something that has a per month price and keep in mind, to be a legal contract, there must be a start date and a stop date. If a contract gets cancelled, it would then be easiest to do a proration.