1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on Cleaning up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Gusco, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

On residentials. Do you trim up the driveway you plowed with a shovel? Or do you stay in the truck? The reason i ask is that i see alot of plowed drives with snow left in front of garages and such. Also the bottom of some of the drivbes i pass by are trashy looking with chunks of snow. How clean are you? Be honest now.
  2. SwiftSnow&Salt

SwiftSnow&Salt Member

i always have a driver and a laborer on hand to take care of driveway (with plow) and sidewalks (with blower), usually the driver is done he shovels garagedoor and all doors where plows/blowers miss.
    I am a very anal-retentave plower thou :) not sure about every1 else.
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

We clean up around the garage doors etc with shovels however we just plow the sides and then make sure to get everything on the ends totally cleaned up. But that is all done from the truck!
  4. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I have a guy that does my walks , he open ups the sidewalks and in front of the garage doors. I try to stay in the truck. On the ones that I don't do the walks I just do the best that I can back dragging and if there is to much snow left behind I jump out and dress up in front of the garage doors with a shovel.
    I try to get all of the trailers crumbed up and looking good, and the piles stacked where they won't be in the way, and some places a short pass by the front so the snow plow doesn't come by and close them end again.
  5. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

I used to get out. Back when I had fewer than a dozen customers and needed the extra $$. Now I don't get out unless they request to have something done. Most homeowners realize that a little snow in front of the garage door is OK. They just want you to do the heavy lifting. I had one customer who's drive was shorter than my truck. I threw her a figure she asked if I would do her steps. I figured I'd just broom them off so I said "sure, 5 bucks extra". Well turns out the entire porch would drift over.:( SAometimes 3 to 4 feet!:dizzy: Suddenly a $25 dollar drive became a 1/2 hour nightmare! Plus she would always call to be done first, would want me to stay exactly on the driveway....nowhere to push the snow...:waving: See Ya!!!

Bottom line: If you're just starting out and only plow a couple hours then squeeze every dollar ya can. If you're going 8-10-12 + hours and falling behind stay in your truck! Capice?
  6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Iam very clean, almost obsessive about my drives looking good. I went back and touched up most of them around 10 when I finished subbing. Some places had been plowed in again by the town so that had to be done. I rarely charge extra to come back and touch things up, its not the customers fault that the town came and plowed again. For this storm I billed once for 5-10 inches which is only slightly more then for 1-4". I assume two trips in a 5-10 inch storm, if i really want to be a jerk I will tack on some extra $ if I have to come back 3+ times but usually i dont because Iam doing it because I want to have it perfect, the customer could still get out and does not really need to have it done. Some say my billing system is stupid and that i should not make a trip to move even one single flake without charging, but I dont see a need to gouge customers by trying to time it right and sneek in max pushes and then charge customer $1XX for a single storm. I dont like gouging people, for the drives I plow, I dont care how much snow we get, they dont need to be paying anymore then $60 per storm. Thats just me, iam making money and my customers are happy so iam not changing anything yet. I did go up slightly on prices this year. I make enough per storm to make me very happy.
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I tell my customers I didn't pay $22,000 to shovel snow. Htey laugh and I explain my extra charges for shoveling. Really, I shovel walks ONLY for the seniors I plow. If I put the snow inffront of the garage I will shovel it- it was my fault. If mother nature did it it's not my issue. I clean as good as I can, but I don;t worry about getting it perfect- it's too time consuming and expensive to spend 20 minutes cleaning tails for a 3 push driveway.

All customers realize it's the bulk I am paid to remove, not manacure it. If they want it manacured they'll pay for it. Incidentaly, I susally spend twice the needed time on a drive making sure I am happy with it anyway.
  8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I try not to get out of the truck unless need be.

Theres usually always a foot or so infront the garage door, but they dont complain about that.

If I have my helper with me, he does the poarches and sidewalks, otherwise they dont get done.

Last year I was real anal about keeping everything clean, but this year I have 30+ people to try to get done before 8am, I dont have time to make everything perfect.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  9. Kosty

Kosty Member

i usally do three backblades and then the last one i take at an angle and back out in an angle into the street and hit the right side then the middle of the pile and the left side if its a easy drive i usally hit it off and leave enough room that i can back up a little and pul right out.
  10. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

If they ask me to shovel a bit I will as a favor but I only have about 8 drives that I do. I shovel a bit for my aunt and an old timer that can't get around very well. I do like to see my drives neat and clean when I'm done.
  11. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

With this being my first year plowing, I think im doing OK, i noticed most of my drives had a little slop at the end of them, which I think is acceptable, The ones that dont get salt are usually the ones that complain.
  12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I only shovel in front of the garages if I shovel there walks.:nod:
  13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Incidentaly you should inform your customers that unless you are salting there will be some snow coat left on the drive after you're done- fact of life. 8 years and 30+ customers each year with no complaints.