1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question on buying a sander

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mansf123, Jul 26, 2011.

1. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

Im looking to buy a sander for my f350 pickup. My problem is i want to be able to tow my bobcat around without removing the sander? I have heard some good things about the fisher polycast. is it possible to easily remove the shoot to allow a trailer to be towed? any help would be great.

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I havent used the newest version but the older version it was very easy to pop the spinner off

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Haven't owned a Fisher, but most truck spreaders allow removing or flipping up the chute to tow something. My airflo has 2 pins that pull out and the chute comes right off, and my smith has a flip up design that can also be removed with 2 bolts.

4. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I have a Western Tornado which is made by the same company and its very easy to remove for towing.

5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

6. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEx makes several nice units

Check out SnowEx sanders. They offer several models that allow you easily remove your spinner and pull a trailer. We use several different models and they are an excellent choice. Check them out and see what you think.

Have a great season.

7. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Go green...go electric!!!

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Buyers, Ice-O-way, Snoway, Snowex, DD and many others make a spreader with a removable chute assembly.

The question is what are you looking for in a spreader,to do Salt, Sand, Cinders, a combination? Do you want gas drive or electric, auger feed or conveyor, mild steel :)nono:) Stainless Steel or Plastic and in what capacity?

9. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

Thanks for all the responses. Mostly i will be spreading straight salt or sand salt mix. I have only used gas sanders before so im not sure how the electric ones work. Do they run off of your trucks charging system? how much more strain does it put on your electrical system. My biggest reason i want to go plastic would be weight. I pull my john deer skidsteer around so i dont want anything to heavy ffor a sander.
    thanks

10. wizardsr

Nope, they're solar powered! Thumbs Up

LOL J/K

They draw about 60 amps at startup, less once things are moving. The trucks don't seem to even notice, but I would imagine if you had you stereo thumping, blinky lights on, disco ball spinning, heater on high, etc. you could run into issues. ;) Plastic is lighter, but not by a lot. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of coin on plastic over stainless.

11. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Ditto
    As a precaution I run dual batteries, powermaster alternator and have had not one problem. Although its not necessary I take precautions.

12. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Actually the electric sanders do draw quite a bit especially on a gasser with a single battery and small alternator. I've never had a problem with my diesals but a buddy of mine with a f350 v10 has to shut his lights and heater off when he wants to use his fisher electric spreader.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:confused::confused::confused:A SHPE2000 2 yard poly spreader is half the weight and 2/3 the cost of a SS hopper.

14. wizardsr

Last time I compared prices between them was last year, and they were pretty damn close. Not sure the weight on that particular unit, but the difference between the ones I was comparing was only a couple hundred pounds.

15. wizardsr

He may want to have his alternator and battery checked, as well as the motor on the spreader for amp draw. You should not have to shut your lights and heater off to run an electric spreader, they don't draw that much when working properly.