1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on buying a 3ton spreader/ 1st season newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ALCCLLC, Dec 11, 2007.

ALCCLLC Junior Member

Thanks to one and all for looking at this and giving their thoughts and advice. I am learning everyday and researching daily to get started in a snow and ice removal business. I have a lawn care company also, so it makes good sense to get some snow and ice removal customers.

On to my dillema. A local guy has this 3 ton truck for sale. Looks to be in good shape. It is a 1980 3ton GMC HiWay Spreader with 29,000 miles. The spreader was apparently converted to spread dirt by taking the mechanism out that runs the chain to move the fertilizer, guy called it a hydraulic "T" (it was originally a fertilizer spreader) and the spindle out. For the money, i think it is a good deal and could be repaired to spread salt and have a plow put on the front. Seems snow season is already started and this is my 1st year i dont want to go all out on expensve equipment but having a 3ton spreader with a plow seems like a good start. I called a HIWAY dealer and they seem confident it can be fixed.

You can see pictures of the truck on ebay. Type in the # 320163444357

My next step is research cost to license and insure a class 6 truck. Anyone have experience with a truck similar to this that may have some insight?

Thank you
  2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i'm off to e-bay to check it out

where in K.C. are you i am in Clinton
  3. powerjoke

the hydraulic "t" was probably just a pipe fitting:$.99 and it's missing the mixer valve for the spinner/drag chain :$200 and the chute&fan(spinner) would probably run in the $1000bracket new (if you could find one) plus you still need a $250 motor to run the fan (spinner)

so in my opinion the spreader aint worth much (what it weighs in scrap) unless you had all the parts to peice it back together

you are dealing with someone elses "basket case" i would either buy it knowing you are going to spend $1500 on it or buy it for the truck only

hope this helps

ALCCLLC Junior Member

Exactly the kind of input I was looking for bro. Wasnt sure how much to expect to put back in it but I will try to force my hand some and get the price down a bit more cause if it runs good ( i havent drove it yet) it could have some potential for a good starter truck. The other thing I need to check out is since it was a fertilizer spreader and fertilizer can be more corrosive than salt to make sure the bed is in good shape. The pics would indicate it is. Also it said something was cracked on the back motor and that doesnt sound good. if there is a problem there, I may scrap the project alltogether and just get a good 4x4 f250 and put a spreader and plow on it. Getting all that seperate can get pricey fast tho.

KCMO. In the midtown area. :cool:
  5. powerjoke

yea i forgot to list the craked pump. it is probably gonna run about $200

i dont know why it would crack unless it had water in it and froze in that case the hyd tank is possibly rusty which is no big deal but it will thro you fit's changing the filter every few hours untill it's cleared itself out

if you needed the truck it would be worth it but the salter is almost too far gone IMO or you could find another salter for about $1000 and just put the motor and (new) hyd pump in it?

edit: there was a complete setup on 291hwy in lee's summit just south of the big car auction on the same side of the road at a sod or landscape place. i called on it about 2 months ago it was: 1980's chevy C65 with a self contained 4-5yd for $2,800 but it probably gone by now idonno
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2007

ALCCLLC Junior Member

Thats a pretty good idea powerjoke. I wouldnt know where to begin to look for a used salter tho. You are talking about a new bed and entire assembly, correct? I contacted a HIWAY dealer in the KC area to see what they thought on fixing it. Still waiting to hear back from them.

Havent seen or heard of the auction there. I been to the one on 24 hwy and one out on 210 towards richmond. But I will see if I can make a trip to Lees Summit and maybe it would still be there but like you, I would imagine someone snapped it up by now. Any chance you kept the #?

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of truck do you have now?? Why somthing that big?? Personally those trucks are too big yet too small. They are too big to plow a parking lot with and too small in respect to payload. Stick with a 3500/2500 truck RCLB and tailgate salter to start.

In time you can justify the larger truck 3ton, for to find work for the salt truck would be tough.