1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on brakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mstyles0927, Nov 21, 2001.

1. mstyles0927

mstyles0927 Junior Member

I was wondering if someone might know what to look at here. I have a 1980 SWB 4x4 with a tired 350 dropped in (when the original inline6 died, no $ for a rebuild or a new motor). It has disc brakes up front. I am running 31x10.5 tires (I think this is right).

The problem I have is that when moving slowly and I lightly press the brake pedal, the wheels (at least the front) lock up. Fluid looks OK, so what is causing this 'over-braking'?
  2. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

Could be a number of things, actually. Have the pads worn down so far that the rivets are grinding on the discs? If not, I would bet that your calipers are seizing -- they need to be either rebuilt or replaced with reman units.

There's a slim chance that either the proportioning valve and/or master cylinder are faulty. If the m/c is gone, it should trigger the brake light in the dash as that warning light is also hooked to a pressure switch, so any abnormal pressure differential in the m/c will turn the light on.