1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

question on bagged salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rev600, Aug 14, 2009.

1. rev600

rev600 Junior Member

can anyone tell me the average price on a 50lbs bag of salt. and what to charge per bag.
    Erie pa.......

2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I use to pay around $4 per bag, and charged a little over $14 per bag applied

3. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

That's about what I do too.

4. rev600

rev600 Junior Member

thanks guys

5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Pricing salt

Before deciding on deicing prices, ask yourself if you are charging a truck charge as well or are you charging enough for the salt to cover the material, equipment and labor when not plowing? It's not wrong or right either way. But figure out what it's costing you to make the application, add margin and make a fair profit. Remember, in this business we are selling security and peace of mind. Not ice melters.

Know why you charge what you charge. We can help if you are not sure.

6. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

In that ball park. I charge around $.25perLB.

7. studebaker48

studebaker48 Member

too cheap i have talk to salt yard and bagging places they are talking about $4.50- 5.25 a bag for 50lbs $14.00 a bag i was charging that in 2003 you need to be at $17.00-$18.00 a bag like Wayne Volz said figure out profit and cost

8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

If you want to win a job you must consider that bagged is more expensive.

You take 1 ton of bagged is 40 bags at $4 a bag your cost ( maybe more ); That's $160

You take 1 ton of bulk salt and your cost is about $70.

You need to keep in mind to be competitive with bagged you must lower your idea of profit. At $14 a bag applied rate that's $560 bucks. Same with bulk might be $250.

9. wisecp

wisecp Junior Member

I'm new to the snow removal business. What kind of coverage can I expect from a 40# bag of salt?

10. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You will be safe at 20lb per K.

11. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Should be buying 80# bags for that money but once again the salt mfgs are robbing people. They have all now stopped producing 80's which is convenient for them and they can charge more per pound with 50's. As an average the bagged prices are all still the same or higher than last year which was a disaster.