1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on Ariens 'automatic traction control'

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by fishinpa, Feb 19, 2011.

1. fishinpa

fishinpa Junior Member

Howdy all...

I am a homeowner, but picked up about 10 local driveways for +5" of snow or more.

For the past 6 years I have been using a Troy-Bilt 8524 with the single joystick controls. It works great, except for the end of driveway, heavy plowed stuff.

I am thinking of buying a Pro series Ariens snow thrower for next season. The Simplicity is out because I don't trust the electric motor on the turn chute. (can't be down mid-season)

I'm pretty sure I am going to go with the Ariens Pro 28" unit but they don't seem to have the 'trigger' turning. They boast this automatic turning system, but I can't find a dang bit of info on how it works.

Can anyone enlighten me on using this setup or should I look at another model or manufacturer?
  2. loudcav

loudcav Member
    from ohio

what about a bigger joystick model since you dont trust the electric motors? you could always look at Honda they allways make nice stuff
  3. leon

leon Senior Member

snow etc.

Purchase one of Clarences impeller kits for $30 bucks
    and shipping and you will not worry about the driveway
    entrances or need a new blower unless it grows legs
    or get borrowed a lot.
  4. fishinpa

fishinpa Junior Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

The Ariens I am looking at is the upgrade I an hoping to make, as soon as I can get more info on this "automatic traction control".

Still hoping someone who is familiar with this will chime in and enilghten me on how this setup works.

Leon, I have seen this kit and and feel confident I can make it myself from locally sourced parts, but the distance my current snow blower throws is not the issue.

I believe a 'heavier' machine with a thicker, adjustable (ground) scraping blade , with larger 'steel' auger, along with the bigger engine... is what will clear the end of driveway stuff with less effort on my part.

I guess I should clarify that it is "biteing" into the pile and getting that first pass completed easier is untimately what I am hoping a commercial machine will do for me

BUT if I buy this one, and it is not easy to turn, I will be using just as much manual effort as before and probably should have just stayed with the old unit.
  5. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

6. leon

leon Senior Member

ariens snow blower

Clarences kit is ready to attach to the impellers and you use the drilled plates as a guide for the the bolt holes. Its a lot faster and he has done all the work for you.

For $30.00 and a full refund if you are not satisfied its worth it to do because it takes many hours to set up sheet metal to work it. The local sheet metal shop is going to charge you a lot more than $30.00 for the six pieces of sheet metal alone.

Clarence has made these impeller kits for years and he is now making them for the three pount hitch snow blowers.

Your machines cutting edge is not the issue; the issue is the ice dam created by the plow trucks when they push it all back and salt at the same time.

The only way you will overcome this problem is to be out there when they plow to get rid of it as it will melt and compact on you every time.

This is what I have to do myself to eliminate any ice dams in the driveway entrances.

If they just used sand it would not be an issue but the salt is the problem.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  7. loudcav

loudcav Member
    from ohio

if part of the issue is turning I would think that the Honda would have the edge with its hydrostatic drive especially if they reverseone side when you turn like a zero turn
  8. royster

royster Junior Member
    from Canada

Husqvarna has the steering triggers, I like how they work, they are simple clutches for each wheel, that lets you control the power to each wheel for a gradual turn to zero turn. The hydrostatic does not affect the steering