1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question on a hoisting license

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnboy2121, Jan 25, 2016.

1. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I have a quick question for anyone in ma who has a valid hoisting license. If u have a skidsteer with a plow on it and no bucket can u legally run it without a hoisting license seeing that a snowplow pushes snow and doesn't pick it up

2. bmc1025

bmc1025 Member

You mean you have to have a license to lift dirt or snow in your state.....:help::eek:

3. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

It's a basic permit to operate equipment, we had too many accidents with major injuries and a couple deaths because people didn't know how to operate the equipment.

To the OP, I no longer have the license (no need anymore) but I believe it does not matter if you are lifting or not I believe it is if you are operating any equipment that falls under that class of license. I may be completely wrong on that since its been a few years but I would check with a licensing agent to be sure.

4. lawnboy2121

Yes u need a license to operate machines in ma. The laws states any machine thAt can lift five hundred pounds or 10 ft heigh or more then a quarter yard of material I believe . But a snow plow only pushes snow doesn't lift it. When I went to my refresher course the instructor was saying if u have a bobcat with a bucket u need one and if u have a pickup broom on it u need one but if u had a rotors broom on it u do t because it can not lift any material . Just courious on peoples inturpritation of thes law

5. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

Even with just the pusher the machine still lifts over 10 feet, so it kinda sounds like they would want you to have whatever license your talking about right ? idk iv never heard of such a thing

6. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

The answer is a big fat no you cannot, they closed the loophole its no longer what you do with the machine, its crystal clear if the machine has a capacity to lift 500 pounds or more you need a lic. A 2 nano second google search you will have all the info you need, just get a lic its easy and not that expensive. Your not insurable without it.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Still amazes me that there were so many freedom loving citizens in Massachusetts back in the days of the Revolution and now it's one of the least free states in the country.

8. lawnboy2121

I have a 2a and 1C license had one for a long time this only a question that I was wondering about that's all and the law is if u r hoisting material 10' or lifting more then 500 lbs or 1/4 yd of material .

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Hmmmm "or lifting more than 500#"
    A lot of plows weight over 500# so they would require a Lic also?

10. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Ha Ha. That's what happens when you vote incorrectly and elect Democraps (spelling intentional) to run your state. You end up with some idiot dictating how big a soda you can order (NY). Any Joe Blow can walk into the local rental yard and drive away with a bobcat on the back of their truck 5 mins later. Just out of curiosity, do they require a CDL to drive a U-haul as well? :laughing:

11. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

Having your 2a 1c shouldent you already have known? This is it rigbt hear a clear indication that the hoist lic. Is just a money grab

12. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like the 10 hour osha safety course for construction in ny

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

No kidding. I think if Hitler would have invaded our country today, the liberals would have surrendered without a shot fired. Some can't give their rights away fast enough.

14. lawnboy2121

If u read the ma law 520 CMS 6.00 for a hoisting license it states a machine that can hoist a load at least 10' ,lift at least 500lbs or pick up at least 1/4 yard of material. Now if I take that same machine and put forks on it instead of a bucket u need a 1C license. When I did my refresher course with a OSHA certified instructor he went through the scenarios about the bucket and forks and also stated if u put a pickup broom on a machine u need a hoisting license because u pick up the sweeping but a rotory broom u cannot pick up material so u didn't need it . Now isn't a plow like a rotory broom where u push the snow ? Once the plow is on the machine it is considered part of the machine there is no where on a plow to carry snow

15. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

I refuse to get my license, it is such a stupid Mass only law and I have never heard of anyone in my area getting pinched for not having one. Its just another way to extort more money from us. Plus I know a ton of people who do have there hoisting license who cant run a piece of equipment to save there life. The only people who should be required to have one is crane operators, for anything else it is just stupid

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Stupid thing is, how many people die in Mass from slipping in bathtubs\showers? Do they require licenses for that?

Driving vehicles? Yeah, those licenses do a lot of good.

You are correct, it is just another tax\theft of your money.

17. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

And there is plenty of freedom loving citizens in Mass but unfortunately we are out numbered by all of the liberal trendies.
    And for the record I wrote in Ron Paul on my ballot for the past 4 presidential elections...

18. lawnboy2121

We had a inspector walk on our job a few years ago and checked if we had our licenses . He was watching us for a while before he came over

19. lawnboy2121

Seems every time u try to run legal in ma they come up with another law or license or requirement u need to meet